Ultimate Subaru Message Board

starting / keyless entry problems 99 legacy

i have a 99 legacy 2.5 which has been giving me a hard time starting lately. i know the issue is most likely the contacts on the starter and i will be getting that taken care of on friday. yesterday when i went to start the car it took about 20 times before the engine turned over, it clicks once when i turn the key. well when it finally did start for me the horn went off like 4-5 times almost as if when you lock the doors with the keyless remote and leave one of the doors open. well after i got home from work i went to lock the doors with the keyless remote and they would not lock. there is a little red light on the remote that lets me know that the battery is good and it is sending the signal to the car. my problem is that i have to choose between locking the car from the inside then using the key to get in which causes the alarm to go off or not locking the doors at all. is there a simple fix like a security fuse that i could check? like i said the car will be going to subaru to get the contacts of the starter replaced (which will hopefully fix the starting problem) and im sure if i still cant figure out the keyless entry by then that they can take care of that as well. but if there is something simple i can do i would like to so i wont have to leave the doors unlocked or have people stare at me while it looks like im breaking into my own car when i need to lock the doors. any help would be great, thanks.

just incase anyone comes across this thread and needed an answer i will tell you what i did wrong. i had all the doors unlocked cause i needed something from the back seat (condition 1). since my starter was bad i had to turn the key at least 10 times to get it to start (condition 2). i have the alpine keyless entry system and i basiclly put my car in programming mode without even knowing it. the car started finally and it went out of programming mode without me setting my keyless entry so i didnt have anything set. i did not try to reset my keyless entry yet but im about 99% sure thats what is wrong with it. pretty weird... getting the starter fixed friday so it should be back to smooth sailing, for a while anyway.