Ultimate Subaru Message Board

over heating bearings

What kind of grease did you use? Was it actual wheel bearing grease, or just plain old ordinary grease grease? When you packed the bearings, did you make sure that grease came out from around all the balls? You did pack the bearings, right? Not just dump some grease into where they go, and drop them in? Or just coat the outside of the balls? It takes me 8-10 minutes to properly pack a bearing, and I've done it quite a few times...

RedLance

You should be using a grease that says Disc Brake Wheel Bearing grease on it. It should come in the same kind of can that mixed nuts come in. Or a plastic tub. The last grease I got was red...most are dark grey, I think. Anyway, you'll be fine as long as the can/tub specifically says disc brakes and wheel bearing on it.

RedLance

The heat from disc breaks will make normal grease break down very rapidly. When that happenes, it becomes thin enough to leak out past the seals...

Hrm.... things will get hot. Remember, you have a disc right there that is generating alot of heat, so all the heat you feel might not be all from the bearings.

Also, pack those bearings good. Take a fistful of grease, and start slapping the bearings into your palm full of grease. Make sure you get as much grease into those suckers as possible.

-Brian

well, if you remove the bearings, you need to install new ones again. I would recommend dissasembling it, remove the rotor and brake stuff, remove the CV, remove the seals and keep the bearings in place. Examine the grease and see if its already broken down. Not sure if it would be wise to clean the grease out, or put new grease in, but if you are truly worried i would tear it down and inspect them.

Or wait until the bearings go bad, and do it again with more care.

-Brian

yeah i have a surface temp thing i can put on the hub when it is hot and then i can check it after i re pack the bearings and you know the other day when i was touching the hub i left and came back a few min's later and the hub got a bit hotter i can feel the heat coming off the hub on to my face monday am going to re do the bearings and try it again

well i put some grease on to the bearings and smash in and did it again and agin till it was just fill of grease it does not smell hot the calipers are not very hot or is the disk just right in the center where the bearings are the drivers side has a after market hub and it is not as hot as the other side (factory hub) if this keeps this up i guess i can put a after market hub on it and try that shoot i don't know??:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: