Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to much gear oil ....?

hi

everytime that i'm chacking the auto gear oil level, i cant see on the stick the right level, it's all the time 1 inch more then the max, or half of the stick it's with oil and you can never chack the right level ...whan the car is on or off or in D , i'ts the same - one inch more from the max, or half of the stick is touch with oil .

today i disconect one of the pips that goes to the radiator and took out 1 liter of red gear oil, i chacked again the level - now it's 1 cm more than the max, i took it to drive chack ,play a little with the 1-2-D-R-P , and chack again - one cm more the max level.

could it be that i drove with one litter more all the time?

can it's dammage something?

do i need to chack the level of the gear oil again whan the engine is cold(after night)?

what can happend if in the gear there is one litter more then what it should be?

thank you all for your fast answer

moshe.

I don't know of any problems that having extra fluid in your transmission could cause, but then again, my expertise is in computers and not transmissions.

one part of your post worries me though. This is an automatic transmission which uses automatic transmission fluid. Gear oil is for use in manual transmissions. These 2 fluids are NOT interchangeable.

there are two dipsticks for the autobox

one has gear oil with a distinct odor

this one is for gear oil

the other is for the transmission fluid

it is supposed to be red, and have no offending odor

it may help if you drill a small hole for both the hi and lo marks for each dipstick

the engine oil dipstick has holes for easy checking of the level

in the 4EAT transmission there's a seal that seperates the diff fluid (gear oil) and transmission fluid. if there's leakage at this seal, the fluids can mix and one...i think the ATF will read higher. you'll notice a corresponding loss of gear oil in the front diff. i could have it backwards...the DIFF oil could read high with a corresponding loss of ATF.

your post sounds like you drained ATF, but it still was reading high...higher than it did after you drained it. so either the measurement was off for some reason or you have additional fluid entering the trans?

I had a friend put ATF in the Diff. He's not a subaru dude. I spaced it when I was installing the radiator and he pulled the dipstick and said "Woh, this ATF smells like crap". He put 1/2quart in and I was like "WAIT, *****, that's where the gear oil goes!" So far no probs :grin:. I consider it a thurough oil flush.

So, should I drain the gear oil?

I had a friend put ATF in the Diff. He's not a subaru dude. I spaced it when I was installing the radiator and he pulled the dipstick and said "Woh, this ATF smells like crap". He put 1/2quart in and I was like "WAIT, *****, that's where the gear oil goes!" So far no probs :grin:. I consider it a thurough oil flush.

So, should I drain the gear oil?

hi

in the radiator there are 2 pipes that goes to the automatic transmision, on the automatis transmision there are 2 holes that thoes 2 pip's connect to.

does the upper hole in the transmision connect with the pipe to the upper part of the radiator? or the upper in the transmision is connecting to the doun pipe of the radiator?

mabe whan i change the radiator , i connect them wrong?

how can i know?

could someone please tell me how to connect thoes pipes.......

up on the transmision - to up on the radiator , or not? or it's does'nt matter?

thank you all for your fast answer.

moshe.

hti-johnson,

i would very surprised if you had any problems. but why not change it? no point in taking a chance, no matter how small it is if it's known, cheap and easily avoidable.

moshem74

i don't think the installation of your hoses is causing you any problems or is anything to worry about. if i could remember i'd tell you how they are stock though so you can make sure they are correct. someone will post that info.