Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i am thinking about buying a 1994 awd a/t wagon w/ 142,000mi , real clean, no rust , no dents, light blue, it needs a passanger side drive axle, other than that seems good, but iam not sure of the timming belts or belt, is there just 1 timming belt? how long do they last ? is there anything else that is common problem ? working on them is just as easy as a ea82 motors ? how about mpg ? the used car lot wants 2200 bucks , but of course talk him down like 1900

is there just 1 timming belt?
Yes
how long do they last ?
Timming belts? 60k engine - usually good for 300+
is there anything else that is common problem ?
Nope
working on them is just as easy as a ea82 motors ?
I think they are easier plus way more power, no oil pump leak issues, etc.
how about mpg ?
I got 28-30 with my 91 AWD 5spd wagon

RUN! Any used car lot that sells a car with a known defect (even if disclosed) rather than repairing same is NOT to be trusted. Unless it's a back row 'mechanics special' for a few hundred, not a car advertised at over two thousand.

Keep looking, there are lots of GOOD Subarus out there.

Just have someone you trust look over it...i got an impreza with almost 300k on it and it runs like a dream with no leaks or signs of dying...but be sure before you buy...timing belts are good to change...but are not devestating on 90 ish model subarus....like hondas or such

Hope this helps

well found another awd a/t legacy L wagon, 213,000mi , new tires, new timming belt, brakes all done, oil leak fixed, new fan belt, , some rust on both fenders, alittle rust on the back , only thing i could see it needed was an exhaust from the cat back, ac needed recharged , owner says the dealer put a new headgasket on, what size of pipe should i use if i buy it from the cat back to the muffler ? he wants 1500 bucks ,but i think i could get it for 1200-1300 , all the above work was done 2,000 miles ago , thanks :grin: