Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everybody,

I came home for Thanksgiving and had to drive my mom's outback to the store for parts, so I checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low. Yes, 2 quarts. After I calmed down, I looked around and it doesn't look like it's leaking any oil. The PCV hose had a bit of oil residue in it, and I suspect that it might be getting sucked into the intake through there, especially since I was told that the car "smells hot" after highway driving. So my question is whether the newer-gen cars have the same issues with PCV valves as the older-gen cars do (i.e.: not uncommon to suck in 2 quarts over a month or two if they go bad)? Are they as finicky about keeping a genuine subaru valve in there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I'm the only one in my family that checks the oil, and I'm gone most of the time.

a car with 108,000 can run. It uses a regular small amount of oil and a bit more when driven hard or on trips. There is a reason the manual tells you to check the oil with each fill up on gas.

Good thing you checked when you did, but there may be nothing really wrong with a 97 that used that much oil in two months other than being a bit old.

Our outback uses some oil, and I have checked it to find none on the dipstick. My wife thinks oil and air are optional. ;) Can't hurt to replace the PCV though, I typically replace them about every 30k as part of my routine maintanence schedule.

My advise, don't buy an aftermarket PCV. Buy an OEM PCV from a dealer. I don't usually like to say to go to the dealer but I had a bad experience when I replaced mine with one I bought at the local auto parts store. When I replaced it my 86 subaru stared burning about 1 quart of oil per month of driving.

The priced difference is only a few bucks. $6 vs $14 from the dealer.

Sam

You still had 3 quarts left if it was down 2. That's enough to avoid any short term damage, but the level will need to be checked more often now. Most of the newer subaru's develop a front main seal leak or a similar looking leak on the oil pump. My 99 started at 60,000 miles, and most of them need attention by the 100,000 mile mark where timing belt service is probably due depending on the model and year. The oil pump is bolted right to the front of the engine behind the timing belt cover. There are two cylindrical projections that point down from it, one on either side of the crank with the passenger side one being very close to the oil filter. If you see oil drips on these projections or the area directly to the rear of it looks real wet with oil, this is probably where the oil is going. The exhaust arrangement ensures the oil burns away without much trace but lots of odor. You can live with this leakage up to a point, as long as you add oil to keep up, and the timing belt doesn't get oily and come off, which would be bad. On my car the front seal was hard as a rock, $3 part, lots of labor. If this car is getting near 100,000 miles I would look up info here on timing belts and oil pumps, for familiarization. There are various options available, but you need to determine what your problem really is. It could also be valve cover gaskets leaking which will also give the burning oil smell, but seems to be a less common problem.

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/oil_leak.jpg

The area that Nomad is talking about is shown in this photo.

At around 60K miles, mine leaked .5 to 1 quart per 3000 miles, and it actually took me a while to figure out where it was going, since there was never a puddle under the car. It was the oil pump seals, and it was coming out the bottom of the timing belt cover.

Not saying that's what your missing oil is caused by, but I thought this photo might help illustrate if it was.

Steve

OK, thanks everybody! I figured that a genuine valve was in order. Definitely clean out the hoses too and maybe replace them if they're old and crusty. (I put in a clear section of hose on my 86 so I can see if it's sucking oil in.)

I parked the car inside overnight to see if it dripped any and nothing appeared. I also glanced underneath and there wasn't any appreciable oil on the exhaust pipe, but I'll jack the car up and look some more when I go home in two weeks.

I suppose that 2 quarts in a couple months isn't TOOO bad, but with all the older soobs I've owned, they didn't use ANY oil if there wasn't something seriously wrong (or if the PCV valve sucked it in). Also, my mom is the slowest driver EVER. She probably goes 50-55 TOPS on the highway, with no high revs or hard acceleration. I guess I'm just really anal with my cars and oil leaks annoy me to no end:rolleyes: .

Thanks!

The symptoms you are reporting are more indicative of leaking camshaft or other seals, a common problem at that mileage and not too expensive to fix.

In steady-state driving the oil pressure is fairly high and pushes out the front of the engine, where it runs down and the breeze pushes it onto the exhaust pipes, causing that burnt oil smell.