Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing alternator p/s belt

My alternator & p/s belt on my 2000 subaru legacy gt is making sounds. I am sure it is time to replace it. It also has cracks in it. Does anyone know how this is done?...because i don't see a tensioner on this belt. Is there any special tools needed?

Ben :)

It's a pretty straightforward affair:

1) Disconnect battery ground cable and remove connector and terminal from the altenator.

2) Loosen lock bolt (between P/S and Alt. pulleys) on the slider bolt.

3) Unbolt the alternator, and bolt in the replacement.

4) Install the new belt and adjust to proper tension: 7 - 9 mm (.276 - .354) with 10 kg (22 lbs) applied between alt. pulley and crank pulley.

If your AC/H20 Pump belt is old, you may want to replace it at the same time.

Good luck

I think he just wanted to change the belt, for that its just a bolt that i think the alternator slides up and down on if I remember right lossen it up and take the belt off....

Even if you're not replacing the alternator, it is important to loosen the lock nut or you will strip the slider bolt and have to replace it. It's not easy finding one that long and Subaru makes you replace the entire tensioner system for around $80.00...not that I am speaking from experience or anything...I wouldn't make a mistake like that...it was a friend...yeah, a friend. But, if you end up needing a replacement slider bolt, I know a place in Salt Lake City where you can get one for about $2.00 that will work.

Hmm, .... I thought all Legacy/Outback/Forester/etc. used the same accessory belt system, and there was only one.

OK, I'm partially wrong. There are two belts.

The principle is the same, though. You need to loosen a nut so that the adjuster bolt can be turned. In the case of the alternator belt, the nut is near the alternator and is part of the alternator mount. In the case of the AC belt, the nut is on the face of the idler pulley.