Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl carb questions

86 gl d/r 4x4 ea82 engine.

Was working on getting my turbo going with the intention of giving this car to my neice. Was thinking that the carb needed a kit as it lacked a little in power would do the morning high idle at about 3500, and was only getting about 23 to the gallon. Had already resealed everything and did new cap rotor, plugs and timing belt. Thought it was almost ready to go.

Pulled the carb, cleaned it, put the kit in and back on it went. Ran like crap.

Thought seems like a vacuum leak. Sprayed cleaner around till I was pretty sure that it was the base of the carb..... Got another carb and put the kit in it. Ran worse still...... same vacuum leak with a different base.... thought damn..... found yet another carb and checked the throttle shaft on it... nice and tight... put that on the carb and then on the car..... Ran even worse.... Sprayed cleaner around and thought that there might be a leak around the egr valve.... pulled checked cleaned and new gasket... didn't help... sprayed some more... found a intake bolt loose... thought, that's it... pulled manifold and new gaskets... Did not change it at all. Spraying inder the intake just to the right of the Thermostat/egr area effected the engine quite a bit so I though.. Damn again... pulled the manifold and put a new one on.... Still will not run..... Changed all the vacuum lines out, cleaned and resealed everything on the manifold... don't know what to try next.....

Car will start, run great till the choke starts to open then if dies out.... Crank the idle screw way in and it will stay running till the choke opens up some more.... manually close the choke down when the engine is running at around 1500 and the thing will race right up to 4500.....

Any thoughts?????? Please!!!???

Hush

Car is red if that means anything;)

Paint the car green and it will run like a charm!!

Seriously, this is a perfect example of a carb being blamed for a poorly running car. Your chances of 3 bad carbs in a row are slim. It's gotta be something else.

You may be onto something with your vacuum system. I would strongly suspect that something may have gotten crossed up while you were removing/reinstalling all that stuff. Of course, this doesn't seem possible cause you did the work yourself. Check it anyway. Could have been the last owner that screwed things up. Use the diagram on the inside of the hood, and be sure everything is correct.

If that doesn't check out, I would go thru the systems {again} one at a time. I would probably check compression first to narrow things down a bit.

good luck, John

What type of carb do you have? Hitachi or Carter/Weber?

You also mentioned the timing belt. Are you positive that everything was lined up correctly when you put the new belt on?

If it was running ok, maybe not 100% before you did everything, then I suspect something else like the timing belt or a bad plug, especially with 3 different carbs...

Timing belt and reseal were done 4000 ago.

Carb is a hitachi.

Car ran fine before I did the carb, now it seems like it has a hell of a vacuum leak.

Checked and double checked the vacuum routing according to the hood diagram and also a diagram in a hanes manual.

Will probably pull and plug all the vacuum lines coming off the carb and intake to eliminate them as a source of the problem.

Hush

Will probably pull and plug all the vacuum lines coming off the carb and intake to eliminate them as a source of the problem.

Hush

Be careful if you decide to do this. You may find that it won't solve the problem - and maybe even pick up some more problems in the process. Then, you'll have to put it all back together and start over {happened to me}.

If you are convinced its vacuum-related, you may want to test each of the components within the system, particularly EGR.

Also, don't rule out the possibility of a completely different system that gives similar symptoms. For example, something like a bad 02 can lead you totally astray.

good luck, John