Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TDO4 update and bigger pugs

rallyruss

ever since I installed my TD04 I have been babying it due to exhaust leaks and the lack of a bypass valve. I never really had a chance to push it too hard because of this.

well today I got the exhaust leaks all fixed and the bypass valve installed (thank you calebz)

and I also was able to mount my new tire and wheel set up. 15" pug alloys painted black. (thanks sucker king) and new 205/50/15 khumos. a pain to mount but much nicer to ride on.

so I have not gone far yet but it all appears to be working well so far. no more over boost. high RPM power is great. low end has a little bit more torque. I think due to my up pipe mod and better flowing turbo. slighty increased lag but not bad at all.

intercooler still needs to be mounted properly. I was working on that tonight.

I made a upper tie bar across the strut towers. but it hits the hood a bit:banghead: .

it will have to be modified a bit to fit now.

this weekend I plan to take it on a long trip. I guess that will be the time to really test it out.

things are still not complete so I wont post pics yet but its really close.

I will be heading up to washington around new years for a real road test so if any one needs any thing sent that way let me know.

I will post more as it goes.

Hey,

How hard was the TD04 to install and how did you do it?

hmm.. short answer. rather hard to do indeed.

no major problems just a bunch of little ones.

list of issues and solutions

probelm 1- up pipe flange slightly different bolt pattern.

my solution- weld a stud in place for the rear hole.

others have stacked flanges or opened up the hole on the turbo.

problem 2- down pipe fitment(stock WRX unit). my down pipe hit the tranny crossmember.

solution- I was forced to cut a small wedge and reweld it. I could have avoided this if I had designed the angle into my modified up pipe(see TD04 thread)

others have made adaptors or had no problems with clearance.

problem 3- intercooler plumbing interferance with components. the output to intercooler on the td04 is to the side rather than straight up as well as the inlet having no elbow up.

solution- I used a combination of new silicone bends and used intercooler hoses from the junk yard to get things to connect properly. some items needed to be relocated. the worst one was the throttle cable.

others have used the spider intake manifold that may make this part simpler.

problem 4- continuation of problem 3 the wrx intercooler did not fit and plumb as well as I had hoped it would. its now mounted at a funny angle and I think a bit less efficent than my old vw intercooler was.

no solution here- I just wish I had found a way to go with a FMIC instead. I belive it would be more efficient and only slightly more difficult to install. my car has a custom bumper and oil cooler right where I would need it to go.

other little things like getting the top coolant line to fit properly. redoing the exhaust again to meet the new DP. making a new torque rod to replace the stock unit that had to be removed. working on heatshields for the turbo and ducting to the intercooler. hood scoop was already there or that would be an issue as well.

see this thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23072&page=1&pp=10&highlight=td04+pipe

Russ... can you get me some pix of your rims? I wanna photoshop them onto the RX to see if I should paint my Pug's black or not.

-Brian

hope to take pics soon. all the guys from work noticed them today. lots of good feedback. I think they look good with my car. black trim, black tint, black wheels.

I will try in the morning when I can see the car better. can I send em to you full size? I never got that image resizer installed properly. really limits my ability to post pics.

glad to hear its working out. My TD04 is on, but the motor is just sitting on a stand looking pretty(took some time off from the soob to build the supervolvo). I still need to deal with the throttle cable, so I would be interested to see how you did it.

If you want, you can send your pics to me again and I will resize them for you.

Oh yeah.. shouldn't this be in that other forum?;)

I will be heading up to washington around new years for a real road test so if any one needs any thing sent that way let me know.

I will post more as it goes.

hey, if you want a small diversion off I-5, swing by Eugene for a :drunk: or two.....

garner

Hmmm so could I run a TD04 at stock boost without an intercooler? I'm planning on doing this swap in the next couple weeks I hope since mine is leaking oil from somewhere...

I see no reason why not. you would need to find a way to plumb it still but it would work. personally I would not bother with out the adition of an intercooler.

yeah, oil burnin madness was one good reason why I changed it out.

I thought I had the intercooler mount/stressbar complete but I miscalculated and am back to square one. grrr... stupid me.

well I plan to go with an intercooler but lack of funds right now permit me from getting one along with a scoop (STi baby yeah!) Then when I go to custom fit the scoop into my hood, I'll be doing some "other" mods to the hood as well....:D The reason for the non-intercooler for right now is because I also have to drive it back and forth to work and with it leaking oil really badly....yeah not a good idea:-\

what are you running for engine management?

all stock stuff. it seems to do just fine. I am not going boost crazy yet. I need this car to last. Im tired of pulling the motor. I just noticed the cam cover on the left side is leaking. it was just resealed a short a while back when some othor work was done by the engine builder that I got it from. oh well it can wait.

strut tie bar is complete but not painted yet. should provide a good place to secure the intercooler.