Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Impreza 2.5 stalls whenever it feels like it

HELP!!!!

Have a 98 Impreza 2.5 with 98,000 miles that has started stalling when driving. Stalls at high speeds and low cruising speeds. Sometimes it will jolt, rpms go down to almost nothing and then recovers and drives fine, other times it just drops dead after driving fine. Starts right back up, and does this intermitently.As I am not very good with cars, took it into dealer. Have replace the fuel pump, fuel relays, fuel filter, cleaned injectors and replaced plugs.

Their computer shows no diagnostic problems, no codes show up to help them and mechanics are stumped.

Would greatly appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks for replying. We replaced the fuel pump as that was what the original diagnostics (dealer mechanics) said was faulty. As I said, I'm not really good with mechanics. If the car is starting okay (sometimes its hard to get it to turnover), why replace igition cables or/and what is an igniter.

Ok, personally I would have started replacing ignition components before fuel pump.

Plugs are new, but what about replacing the ignition cables and the "igniter".

Next up, the fuel pressure regulator.