Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Forester Alternator Interchangeability: MYs 98 & 99?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:24 AM

I picked up a used alternator from a 98 Forester to use in my 99 Forester - only had 30 K on it. I had it computer tested at a local auto shop -- passed with flying colors with 98 info. entered into the machine. When they punched in the criteria for a 99 Forester, however, the alternator was determined to be bad.

Connections and terminals are identical between the one in my 99 Forester and the 98 alternator, but part and model numbers differ. I decided to buy this used one because 1stsubaruparts.com has one listing for the "98-99" alternator(s). The local parts store, however, lists two different rebuilt units for the years mentioned.

Questions:
Does anyone know the amperage of the 98 alternator (75 amps for 99)? What risks are involved in the swap?

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:31 AM

I don't see any problem with using it. I would trust 1stsubaruparts.com over a parts store computer any day.

#3 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:06 PM

Thanks, Shawn.

Anyone else with any thoughts or info. would be greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users