Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Poor Man's Mechanic Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 16 August 2003 - 02:25 PM

When you have money, you either don't have a need to spend it on your car, or have other things to do with it.

When you don't have money, is when you really really want something bad for your sube, or... something needs to be replaced.

Such is life of the subaru mechanic.

so... jon's ordeal.

A while back (maybe a month and a half ago) I replaced both my boots on my passenger side axle. now the bands have come undone.

No tool to use, it gets frustrating. so what do I do? pay $5.00 for more grease, grease it up, and buy a $1.69 hose clamp. undo the sucker, put it on, and -sha-bam-boom- ghetto boot clamp, but works and is easy and cheap.

But I still *want* to get two new axles... I'd sleep easier at night. ;)

If anybody cares for the heck of it, I'm sure I could get a pic.

#2 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 16 August 2003 - 06:35 PM

And get four of the zip ties they use when they run out of cuffs.
These ties have a thin band of metal in them. Tough to break.

I worked in Corrections for the State of Va for six years and used them for the exact same reason. Never came loose in four years.

BTW the inmates used to say that they could break them.
Bound up many a pissed off inmate and never saw it.

Jay

#3 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 17 August 2003 - 01:01 PM

Those little plastic ties are the best thing since sliced bread. I used two of those in place of a CV boot clamp, and they lasted for quite a while. They never failed, I just replaced the axle eventually. I also have an inordinate amount of them holding things onto my car in various locations.:banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users