Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poor Man's Mechanic Dilemma

When you have money, you either don't have a need to spend it on your car, or have other things to do with it.

When you don't have money, is when you really really want something bad for your sube, or... something needs to be replaced.

Such is life of the subaru mechanic.

so... jon's ordeal.

A while back (maybe a month and a half ago) I replaced both my boots on my passenger side axle. now the bands have come undone.

No tool to use, it gets frustrating. so what do I do? pay $5.00 for more grease, grease it up, and buy a $1.69 hose clamp. undo the sucker, put it on, and -sha-bam-boom- ghetto boot clamp, but works and is easy and cheap.

But I still *want* to get two new axles... I'd sleep easier at night. ;)

If anybody cares for the heck of it, I'm sure I could get a pic.

And get four of the zip ties they use when they run out of cuffs.

These ties have a thin band of metal in them. Tough to break.

I worked in Corrections for the State of Va for six years and used them for the exact same reason. Never came loose in four years.

BTW the inmates used to say that they could break them.

Bound up many a pissed off inmate and never saw it.

Jay

Those little plastic ties are the best thing since sliced bread. I used two of those in place of a CV boot clamp, and they lasted for quite a while. They never failed, I just replaced the axle eventually. I also have an inordinate amount of them holding things onto my car in various locations.:banana: