Ultimate Subaru Message Board

junkyard/Rim Question

Jibs

I went to the local junkyard today and discovered something awesome! A set of these!

pug15-8spoke-2.jpg

Only problem is that on each tire, there is a locking lug nut. What can I do to get them off? I heard from a friend that you can use a socket that is **just** bigger than the lock and just twist it off, thus destroying the socket. Would this work? Any other ideas? I REALLY want these rims but can't come up with anything. Thanks.

Can you undo the axle nut and remove the drum/disk with the wheel?

Drill the stud out? Kinda hard at a JY

Torch the axle, bring the whole mess home and beat on it. :banghead:

Weld something to the locking nut?:brow:

Don't listen to me!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

go to Sears and get a Craftsman 15/16 12-point socket... pound it onto the locking nut with a hard rubber mallet and crank off with a breaker bar or large socket wrench...

use a punch, or large screwdriver, to pound the locking nut out of the socket... a (padded) vice works best for holding while you pound, but try vice-grips and a sturdy surface...

I use Craftsman because they're open on weekends and with lifetime garantee you can take the tools back in case you crack them while engineering solutions... (:

Only problem is that on each tire, there is a locking lug nut. What can I do to get them off?

Ok Thanks. I didn't search the car cause I was pressed for time, and I can go back later cause I know the rims aren't going anywhere.:grin: I don't think I can take welders or power tools in there so that's out. I was thinkin of takin the whole axle setup, but I know they'll charge me way more than its worth so I'll try the craftsman idea and see how it works. Thanks again.

Can you undo the axle nut and remove the drum/disk with the wheel?

Drill the stud out? Kinda hard at a JY

Torch the axle, bring the whole mess home and beat on it. :banghead:

Weld something to the locking nut?:brow:

Don't listen to me!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Yeah, I wouldn't get too fixated about making a perfect score at the yard....

You might be able to loosen the locks by using clamps or vise grips {and some creativity), but you can't waste too much of your time that way.

Taking off as much as needed, then breaking it down at home is definitely the way to go. There are lots of quick and dirty ways get your rims off once you get the whole mess on your workbench.

good luck, John

I did this to a friend's Pontiac once. He lost the little socket tool. I used a glod of JB Weld. Pushed it into the grooves on the head of the locking nut, then built it up around a pair of 19mm sockets that I had threaded against each other on a piece of allthread. Let the JB weld set up and put a lug wrench on it. Off she goes.

Another Question - will the craftsman trick work on all 4 rims? Or will I need to btake the socket back after each time? Thanks.

As long as the socket doesn't split, you should be able to use it again. To get the jammed nut out of the socket, use a slightly larger socket as a base to hammer the nut out into.

First off check the glove box and any other hiddy holes you can find for the real tool. Then check and see if you can get it from The Pug dealer. That would be an awesome score, I love the way those look!!! Later, Tim

You're the greatest!! I checked the console - NOTHING. Floor, under seats, ashtray - NOTHING Lower glove box - NOTHING I was just getting ready to quit and try the socket trick, when I noticed a loose part above the main glove box. I pulled it open and BINGO!! There's the key!!! Thanks everyone for all the help though!!