Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hard is it to replace the starter on 99 outback?

Today I found out my 99 outback needs a new starter at the cost of $433.50 said the dealer. Anyway, I am pursuing other options...$95 starter for auto part store...husband and neighbor installing it. My question: Is it hard to get to the starter and difficult to do on your own? I plan on buying my car's manual tomorrow as well.

I work at the dealer.. and have seen all the subaru modles.... the starters are all in the same spot! (this is the easy part)

2 bolts hold the starter to the tranny.. one more holds the batt cable to the starter, and one clip-on wire for the solenoid! viola! its off! now put the new starter in its place!!

(remember to disconnect the ground terminal at the battery unless you have plastic wrenches :-p )

on the 99 OB, there might be the airbox housing in the way on that.. i have not actually replaced the starter but it is a very easy task-

you should only need- a 10mm, 12mm and a 14mm wrench for this...

good luck! :banana:

Today I found out my 99 outback needs a new starter at the cost of $433.50 said the dealer. Anyway, I am pursuing other options...$95 starter for auto part store...husband and neighbor installing it. My question: Is it hard to get to the starter and difficult to do on your own? I plan on buying my car's manual tomorrow as well.

How do you know you need a new starter ? Your car seems a little too young for that. Most of the time, when the starter does'nt spin but clicks it's the solenoids inner contacts fault. Very easy to replace and much cheaper. Only a few dollars for the L contacts.

If you make a search on this BB with «solenoid contacts» for key words, you'll find lots of information on how to do it.

Good luck!