Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred on a 99 OBS

Asked for tires for x-mas and santa came early! Just ordered the new tripletreds on walmart.com. Dont think it was the best price in the world, but I love walmart because if anything happens to your tire there is usualy a walmart with in 50 miles of anywere in the US. Drove around on them yesterday and they seemed to do very well on the dry road. Very quiet and sensitive. Today it was raining cats and dogs and I figured why not! Boy howdy, these tires were ment for water!! Doing 70 plus down a highway that holds an alarming amount of water (Kansas roads seem to do that) was an enjoyable ride! It was almost like there was no water on the road at all. I cant wait to get a good coating of snow/ice and see how they do. The seemingly considerble grip produced by the treds coupled with Subaru's amazing all wheel drive appears to be a rather formidable combination. I would woundnt expect any problems when the ice and snow comes. On the down side, I wonder how well they will wear, since Subarus seem to be rather rough on tires. Since balance and rotate are free though, I can easily rotate them at proper intervals, and that seems to help the life of a Subaru's tires considerably. All in all, my father's 400 bucks seem to be well money spent!!!

Asked for tires for x-mas and santa came early! Just ordered the new tripletreds on walmart.com. Dont think it was the best price in the world, but I love walmart because if anything happens to your tire there is usualy a walmart with in 50 miles of anywere in the US. Drove around on them yesterday and they seemed to do very well on the dry road. Very quiet and sensitive. Today it was raining cats and dogs and I figured why not! Boy howdy, these tires were ment for water!! Doing 70 plus down a highway that holds an alarming amount of water (Kansas roads seem to do that) was an enjoyable ride! It was almost like there was no water on the road at all. I cant wait to get a good coating of snow/ice and see how they do. The seemingly considerble grip produced by the treds coupled with Subaru's amazing all wheel drive appears to be a rather formidable combination. I would woundnt expect any problems when the ice and snow comes. On the down side, I wonder how well they will wear, since Subarus seem to be rather rough on tires. Since balance and rotate are free though, I can easily rotate them at proper intervals, and that seems to help the life of a Subaru's tires considerably. All in all, my father's 400 bucks seem to be well money spent!!!
I have also heard very good things about these tires.

FYI be very careful with Wal-Mart installations, their installers use impact wrenches to install the wheels and will wrap the rotors or break lug nuts because they over tighten them and do not torque them to factory specs. :banghead:

I've had those tires on a '98 OBW here in Michigan for about 3,000 miles now and have never had traction like this in any vehicle I have ever owned. We have only had a couple of good snows so far this year, but the car was amazingly stable. One night we got between 4-6" of slushy, wet snow, and the x-way entrance ramps were icey. I could not get the car to fishtail or break loose at all.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with them in the snow/ice as well.

Reinhard

'98 OBW

Michigan

Now I want it to snow!!! Also, I have heard of the Wal-Mart impact problem before. I think that maybe a few bad apples spoiled the barrel because when I watched the mechanics replace my tires, they spun it on with the impact and then took a torque wrench and tightened it the rest of the way...probably knew i was looking or something!

Thats odd that people have had problems...I have never had a problem, but I know that when impacts were first popular people had lots of overtorque issues, but I just figured that today's mechanics were savy about the wonders of a torque wrench. Has anyone used walmart and had no problems? I wouldnt think I'm the only one.