Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where to start looking for electrical system funkyness?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phaedras

Phaedras

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Somerville

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:50 PM

My cars been acting weird lately: stereo cutting out, windshield wipers blowing fuses, CEL coming and going for no reason, oil gauge wandering into the negative PSI range, taillights acting like their at a techno raver party (well, not yet). Is my cars brain paranoid schizophrenic and needs to be replaced? Or could it just be the alternator giving out fuzzy voltage? I read 12.5V cold and 14ish while running.

Obviously I can wield a multimeter without hurting myself, but where would I start to investigate the gremlins that plague my car?

#2 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

Souns like you have lost a diode in your alt, that's the first thing i would check. Oh, and battery connections too, maybe check engine and chasis grounds. My moneys on the alt.

#3 Handtool

Handtool

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Yelm

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:06 PM

Yup, classic signs your alternator is toast. Pull it and take it to shucks ect, and have them test it.

#4 Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon

Evil Genius (tm) for Hire

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Bremerton-like

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:40 AM

All the symptoms you describe are either in the dash or behind you. This tells me that your problem is likely to be under the dash, probably in the wad of wiring behind the fues panel. The connectors get brittle with age and sometimes the wires IN those connectors start getting loose from the vibration in the car. When that happens all KINDS of weird stuff starts happening. WOuldn't bet against a dead/dieing alternator, but double check your wiring under the dash. Start with the platic connectors behind the fuse panel.

#5 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:56 AM

I'd start with the alternator. Sounds like the voltage regulator is pushing too much power out into your electrical system. Is your voltes guage riding above 16amps ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users