Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reasonable Compression for 86 GL

Greetings All.

I'm looking to buy a subaru, and I am going to compression test it. What is an acceptable range for an 86 GL no turbo with 150k. Obviously, I will be on the lookout for even compression accross all the cylinders, but I want to know how tired this thing is. 125-130 psi??

What is the factory spec. on a new motor?

Thanks!

Ideally, it would be at 150 psi or a little bit more in all 4 cylinders.

But the most important thing to check for is consistency between all 4 cylinders. For example, if you have one cylinder down considerably, you might have a burnt valve or a damaged cam lobe or incorrect cam timing. If you have two cylinders down on one side of the engine, that's a strong indication of a blown headgasket. Stuff like that.

For what ever it is worth...Factory specs for a new N/A EA82 motor is 168psi...my 86 with 200,000mi on it has between 155-160...but then again this car I have had since near new/mostly highway miles/oil changed every 3000mi.

I'm looking to buy a subaru, and I am going to compression test it. What is an acceptable range for an 86 GL no turbo with 150k. Obviously, I will be on the lookout for even compression accross all the cylinders, but I want to know how tired this thing is. 125-130 psi??

What is the factory spec. on a new motor?

Thanks![/quote