Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yesterday as I was driving home at 10 pm (almost no traffic) I got rear ended by some young female driver! I was standing still at a pedestrian crossing to let people cross the street and as I was about to accelerate she rear ends me HARD. I mean the cupholder was almost completely in the open/out position after!! Anyway I was a bit dazed and had a headache. Im fine now.

I got out to look at the damage and call the police. She absolutely didnt want the police involved. Her damage was both headlights broken, radiator fluid all over the road, grill broken, basically the whole front end deformed. My damage (when I looked at it in the dark last night so not conclusive until I reinspect), was my bumper scratched and the finish scraped off, thats it. Now thats what I call good bumpers:banana: .

Tomorow Im taking the car to the dealer for inspection to see if anything is out of allignment and to get a quote for the repair.

After a 20 min wait, the police finally came, did alcohol tests and filled out the paper work. And guess what, the other driver had to get a blood test done, so was over the limit.

Anyway, my question is, do the seat belts need replacing after an accident?

What should I look out for, what kind of "invisible damage" could there be?

Thanks

Drive safely.

Bad Luck. Happened to me some years ago. Dont know about the seat belts but you want to check behind the bumper as it is possible that it deformed enough to take up some of the shock but in doing so has caused damage to the panels behind. If you have a tow bar this may also have deformed the chassis rails underneath.Glad you were not hurt.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Do yourself a favor, check in with a doctor and have your back and neck checked out. I was rear ended last year and it took 6 months of therapy to get my neck back to normal.
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!!

My wife got backed over by a delivery truck. She was stopped, as was the truck before it backed up in rush hour traffic. My wife got "hit" at 2-4 MPH.

This was Halloween a year ago, and she is still having significant back problems. Her main "mistake" was being tensed (pressing hard on clutch and leaning into the steering wheel/horn).

If you didn't see it coming, if you were relaxed, and if you were sitting straight upright and looking forward, then you may have escaped significant injury. And soft-tissue damage often takes 24-48 hours to manifest.

I also recomend that you see a Dr about the back and neck. Also is your Legacy a wagon or a sedan? Check for proper operation of the rear hatch/trunk, and have the rest of the car checked out by the dealer. My 92 wagon got rear ended in a hit and run, the owner at the time never bothered to fix it, and then he sold the car to my stepdaughter, who gave the car to me as a derilict five years later (I had been telling her I could fix the hatch, but she never let me). Doors that do not work annoy me, so I fixed the hatch in about 1 min by using a picklefork as a prybar on an socket extension slipped through the latch ring on the body (it was not fully engaging the latch on the hatch). . .

:-\ I've now been to the doctor, nothing major so far, I hit my hand somewhere so its kinda sore and swollen. Im so glad I didn't see it coming cause she hit me unbraked (she said she didn' see me although there was street lighting, car lights, no fog or other traffic!). I'm assuming she was driving the speed limit, so 30 mph. I went to a body shop place which the insurance company recommended, they said its basically scrap (although it still runs great:) ). The metal bumper (under the outer bumper) is very deformed and so is the whole chasis. All the doors don't open/close as before, the boot lid (sedan) is somehow deformed, it opens but not as before, and the metal panels are no longer parallel where they should be.

Her insurance better give me fair compensation for the damage to my Legacy (its worth more to me than book price and it was in very good shape and accident free before this), for my injuries and for my time. Good thing I have Legal insurance, they should be able help me on this.