Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swaybar Q's

O.K.,

This one must have gotten lost in the move. I'll ask again...

1. Will an XT6 front bar fit bolt up on an EA82 Wagon?

2. Will the rear bar from an EA82 Turbo Sedan bolt up to the rear of an EA82 Wagon?

3. Is it worth the effort?

4. What do I need to be "Double Dang Sure" to grab when I pull the bars?

:D

Yes the front will bolt straight up. Get the mounting bushings from the donor car.

If your car came from the factory with a rear bar you can swap for a bigger bar using the bushings as in the front.

If it didn't you can fabricate some brackets and break out the mig. I've heard people say they have swapped the arms to ones with brackets for swaybar application

It is, IMO, definately worth the trouble.

Subarus from the factory have quite a bit of understeer designed into them because the average Joe Smoe can handle push better than a bit of oversteer. They are dumbed down for the masses.

If your looking at making your car handle better and not roll the front tires under, I would recommend getting the rear bar first.

The first thing you will notice is it corners flatter and your front outside tire edges will last longer.

the next thing you will notice is the car has a tendency to want to oversteer a bit if you trailbrake or lift throttle mid corner.

I noticed you are thinking about this for a wagon. The long wheelbase is going to negate a bit of the oversteer, and any severe inputs can be caught because it takes longer for the rear to step out.

Regards,

Jay

I put a XT6 rear on a 85 hatch. Almost squirrely, then I got used to it. Weee, great four wheel drifts in gravel induced with a quick jab of left foot braking while on throttle.