Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Audi/VW TMIC Whaddaya think?

Vanislru

The photo's are in the photo gallery cause I still haven't figured out how to put them in a thread, but what do you think?

The scoop and hood have to be painted and touched up here and there but u get the gist of it.

I used another strut tower bar welded to the original for a bracket, and if I remove the two hoses I can replace the chiller setup with the stock intake in about 2 mins. I drove the snot out of her in the snow last night at 14 psi and there was no audible pinging @ 25 btdc. I don't know if the photo's show it but the chiller sits right up in the scoop completely square/symetrical. I used the stock VW/Audi recirc valve that does leak a little @ 14 psi but it'll soon be replaced with something better. I made the scoop myself with a foam mock up that I then fiberglassed, I've got a few other style of scoops on the go that will go on Subie racer #2, and 3, I will post those as the cars are nearing completion.

WJM how did you do that?!

The late 80's Audi's have this charge cooler up front, got mine at a wrecker for 50 CDN, and the recirc valve sits underneath out of site, plumbs into the pipe just after the maf[also hidden]. There 4+ inches of clearance under there, I might mount a fan in the summer. The takeoffs on the cooler have been moddified, but because they're composites they were easy to change. This thing sits nice I'm quite happy with it, it's still unfinished looks wise but works well. What do think of my custom scoop?

that and if you've got the extended formatting option enabled you can simply click on the 'insert image' button and put the addy in there and that automatically adds the tags for it.

You make sound so easy! I will try to compute this after I've gotten some sleep, the babe is feeding/crying around the clock.

You make sound so easy! I will try to compute this after I've gotten some sleep, the babe is feeding/crying around the clock.

LOL, well go get some sleep then!

Its very easy once you know what button to push and you get the web addy(right click, properties...shows you the addy...just use the mouse to select it and copy/paste now!).

thats a good fit. plumbing looks easy.

I had a VW 1.8T IC before with a scoop that I made from f. glass as well. worked really well. did not fit with the TD04 though so now its in a box in the garage.

dont feel bad I suck t posing pics too. calebz can back that up. I used him to help more than once.

Great Job, what year/model did you get that intercooler off of. I got mine off of an 198? audi 5000 but my input output ports are in a totally different place than yours. NEVERMIND I just read that you modded the input/output ports. Exactly how did you do this, pvc & JB weld, I am really curious. That is exactly how I mounted mine too.

Ya I have had pretty good luck with mine too. I also installed 2 fans on it (spal 6.5 pullers) I can post some pics of the install if you want a look at em. Keeps it pretty much ambient (puttering around town) as far as I can tell with my hi tech temp gauge (hand).

Here are some pics of my install without fans

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=623

Great Job, what year/model did you get that intercooler off of. I got mine off of an 198? audi 5000 but my input output ports are in a totally different place than yours. NEVERMIND I just read that you modded the input/output ports. Exactly how did you do this, pvc & JB weld, I am really curious. That is exactly how I mounted mine too.

Ya I have had pretty good luck with mine too. I also installed 2 fans on it (spal 6.5 pullers) I can post some pics of the install if you want a look at em. Keeps it pretty much ambient (puttering around town) as far as I can tell with my hi tech temp gauge (hand).

Here are some pics of my install without fans

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=623

NICE, never thought of clocking the intake piece, I like the dimensions of the Audi coolers they're thick and the angle of the fins is bang on for a tmic, wonder how many others have this type of set up. Yeah it's JB weld and a 2" PVC fitting with the output from the turbo side chopped at 45 and JB'd too. After eyeing it up I couldn't believe how centered it was, a friend of mine said to me it looks so clean that he could've thought it was factory. I'm proud of the second strut bar mount for the chiller, a little stronger than stock and it's one less part filling up the shop.

Some day I will be in victoria and we'll get the ru's out! I was just looking at Phishy75's thread on coolant loss and there's 4 other bc guys there and 3 of them are from the Island. I road trip up to Mt Cain with 4 other subaru's too but only one of them is on the board, [he's mostly a lurker not to interested in posting]. I think a meet is in order, maybe in the new year we can all plan one out?

Yep, I'm down for that, but I just gotta finish the damn thing so I can put it on the road. No point in showing up for a suby meet in a grand caravan :lol:.

Maybe, maybe not, can the caravan offroad, lay down some rubber? Maybe we could detour out to sooke, 4x4 around your back 40 and then head up the highway alittle further and go for a surf too.

Oh it can lay down rubber. Actually somethings wrong with the brakes too so that the back ones lock up first and act like an ebrake in the gravel and wet :brow: And its 13, not 40 :-\, but another idea is to sneak up harbourview, though there is a new gatekeeper (obstacle) that might be kind of scary if you dont have welded or lsd rear.