Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TOD finally fixed!!!

Yup.... you've all heard it before, but i'm so happy i have to share:banana: :banana:

I tried them all - MMO, ATF flush, engine flush, resealed the oil pump, i even replaced one of the lifters cause i was doing the head gasket and it was questionable.

Sometimes it worked for 10 mins, sometimes for 3 days, and sometime it did JACK S*#T....

and then i found the BEST junkyard ever.

I got 2 oil pumps (more is always better), a muffler, some t-belt covers (not that i run with them anyway), many odds and ends, a strut tower cross-brace (or whatever its called), and a headlight case all for $30 - and that's canadian eh!!!:grin:

Threw on the oil pump and drove it hard for 10 mins - oil pressure up and lifter noise gone bye-bye. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Needless to say I'll be going back for more since he has 3 soobs ripe for the pickin.

Congrats!!!! I know how you feel...my TOD is getting better and better everyday. Since its cold out now and I have to warm Bucky up before going to work...sometimes I forget he is out there running he is so quiet. Going to like that tis morning since he is covered with about a half inch of ice and I dont scrape:) .Just hope the doors arent frozen shut...dont feel like climbing over all the stuff in the back (my hatch never freezes shut).

Great, congratulations! :banana:

I have the same issue, but the guy who sold me the car, told me that they repaired the oil pump recently, so I really hope that I only have to change the pump's "mickey-mouse" seal. I'll do it in 1-2 days, and I hope I'll be happy also. :)

Alf

it is crucial to seal the pump properly. if you install all new seals and gaskets, that might not be enough. the two halves of the block meet behind the pump. you should use a very small amount of sealant (like you use on the cam carriers) where the 2 halves of the block meet together. do not get the sealant on the mickey mouse seal. you will see one area at NOON and one at 6 O'clock.

it's very faint and can be hard to see, clean the block up good behind the pump and look/feel for the zigzag pattern where the two halves of the block come together, it won't be perfectly smooth. install new seals without sealing this engine block mating junction and you could still have tapping due to an improper seal.

if switching oil pumps cleared the tapping i would suspect the other pump just happened to seal better against this area more than the pump actually was the problem to begin with. i've never seen an original oil pump not work that was properly sealed. for anyone installing new seals, it's important not to miss this step.

i have heard of people sealing the pump only to still have tapping. then they go back and seal this block mating area i just described and the tapping disappears.