Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I brought my first Forester last September since when I have covered some 5500 miles. Recently I started to hear a loud rattle from the front end on uneven ground. The dealer tell me it is the front caliper pins which instead of being lubricated with grease are only oiled which is causing the problem. I believe they are correct as if I touch the brakes when the rattle is preesent it stops. They are going to sort it tomorrow. My question is has any one else had this problem, and is it as simple to fix as just adding a bit of grease? The dealer tells me that this is only the second case of this they have had. Funny enough both on the same day!!

Hmm, take it easy on the drive to the dealer, last time I heard these symptoms they stemmed from loose caliper carrier bolts! (On a Toyota Corolla)

Try pushing/pulling on the caliper through the wheel. If you can rattle it, have the car loaded up on a flatbed truck and delivered to the dealer, don't drive it.

For goodness sake, DON'T tow it with two wheels on the ground, you will destroy the 4WD system.