Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you use wheel adaptors on an '85 Subaru Brat?

Hi,

This is a great site! I've been doing a lot of reading, but this is my first post...well, question.

Would it be possible to just use wheel adaptors on an '85 subaru brat to convert the bolt pattern to something more conventional? (4x100 for example).

(All the talk about getting the right xt6 parts and weather or not the conversion will work on an EA81 makes me a bit nervous... The only other I dea I had was to take the stock hubs to a shop have have them redrill them completely to a different bolt pattern (not like the 6 lug mod)).

I don't know much about wheel adaptors, but was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on the matter?

What kind of wheel offsets would you need to run for different sizes?

Here's something I happened upon on the net:

http://www.balancemachine.com/wheel_adapters_and_wheel_spacers.asp

Thanks for your advice! :)

Wheel adapters have been a long running discussion. I guess the only way to find out is to contact them and see what the cost would be. I run a spacer similar to those on my BIG Brat. But I needed them to get the proper spacing for the footprint. The Nissan rear was almost 5" narrower than the Sube. Same bolt pattern just a spacer.

Woohoo! :banana: So I called these guys,

http://www.balancemachine.com/wheel...eel_spacers.asp

and spoke to Fred Geoske. He said he would acually reccomend a conversion to 4x114.3 (Still awesome--ton of wheels with this bolt pattern!). But, he needs to know the center bore of the hub. Anyone know this by chance? :confused:

Here's an email I got from him afterwards:

NICE CHAT THANKS FRED GOESKE

MOST 1" TO 1.5" THICK CUSTOM MADE ADAPTERS OR SPACERS START AT $65 EACH.

LARGE TRUCKS ARE MORE.

1/4" TO 3/4" THICK HUB CENTRIC FLAT SPACERS $40 EACH.

THANKS FRED GOESKE

Now I'm getting excited!! :D

4HOL 140MM TO 5HOL 100MMX2"

$79.00

SKU#: 4140-5100-4-5IB

WOW...more ideas... :slobber:

Using the 5x100 adapter, and SSR comp-x 15x7 wheels in white or gold...or that grey color from tire rack...eh, I'll go white.....225/45/15 Khumo V700's.... :slobber::slobber:

PLUS that would increase the over track front and rear by 4 inches! Wider is bettAr, especially for t3h subie!

Bump, it's too dark by the time I get home to check this, has anyone else looked yet?

Woohoo! :banana: So I called these guys,

http://www.balancemachine.com/wheel...eel_spacers.asp

and spoke to Fred Geoske. He said he would acually reccomend a conversion to 4x114.3 (Still awesome--ton of wheels with this bolt pattern!). But, he needs to know the center bore of the hub. Anyone know this by chance? :confused:

Here's an email I got from him afterwards:

NICE CHAT THANKS FRED GOESKE

MOST 1" TO 1.5" THICK CUSTOM MADE ADAPTERS OR SPACERS START AT $65 EACH.

LARGE TRUCKS ARE MORE.

1/4" TO 3/4" THICK HUB CENTRIC FLAT SPACERS $40 EACH.

THANKS FRED GOESKE

Now I'm getting excited!! :D

• 1 month later...

I am going to add my comment to keep it at the top. Definatliy interested myself, I have 14-inch steel Pugs from a 505 or maybe 504 turbo but they have the stupid little flat washer nuts and I have a bear of a time keeping the wheels centered and torqued. Have started torquing the lugnuts to 100lbs. up from 85 to keep wheels centered and this has worked for the couple of times I have drove it since, but I hate having to use so much torque on my studs. Some pretty 14-inch alloys would rock. Would love to hear more about this.

I am going to add my comment to keep it at the top. Definatliy interested myself, I have 14-inch steel Pugs from a 505 or maybe 504 turbo but they have the stupid little flat washer nuts and I have a bear of a time keeping the wheels centered and torqued. Have started torquing the lugnuts to 100lbs. up from 85 to keep wheels centered and this has worked for the couple of times I have drove it since, but I hate having to use so much torque on my studs. Some pretty 14-inch alloys would rock. Would love to hear more about this.

why cant you use normal lug nuts? if i understand you right why cant you just countersink the holes

Considering how easy it is to convert your hubs to a 6x5.5" bolt pattern and increase your rim selection. Those who dont want to redrill hubs can opt to redrill the rims themsevles to fit onto the Subaru hub. Both of these techniques are far cheaper than wheel adapters. I think this is why wheel adapters havent really taken off here on the USMB.

Considering how easy it is to convert your hubs to a 6x5.5" bolt pattern and increase your rim selection. Those who dont want to redrill hubs can opt to redrill the rims themsevles to fit onto the Subaru hub. Both of these techniques are far cheaper than wheel adapters. I think this is why wheel adapters havent really taken off here on the USMB.
how heavy are those 6 lugs? these would be fro street guys, not off road guys.