Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's my first time here, as I just bought a used 01 Subaru Outback Limited a month ago....

I've been reading some posts on this site, and others, and finding scarce information about this "exploding moonroof" phenomenon. I can't seem to find anything more about it, but it's been mentioned more than once.

I called the 800-SUBARU number, and they said they have never heard of such a thing happening before.

I'm quite certain that a rock did not hit it, as the shape of the impact on the glass is outward. It's as if someone took a bat from the inside of the car and jammed it up into the moonroof, with an extreme amount of force.

It's been suggested in other posts that it's a problem with the "annealing process", or with the "flex chassis", and it's not necessarily limited to Subaru's.

Has there been any definitive information on this? Is this something that can be prevented once I replace the moonroof?

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

Joy

Sorry, I forgot to say that this happened during my morning commute, I had just changed one lane over to the right, going about 65-70 mph, and I heard a crackling noise right before the explosion....no trucks, or overhead passes in sight. I'll try to post some pictures once I figure out how to do that. The dealer just informed me that it will cost over $1000 to repair it.

ugh. so far, not such a great experience with my first subaru. sigh.

Joy

It's my first time here, as I just bought a used 01 Subaru Outback Limited a month ago....

I've been reading some posts on this site, and others, and finding scarce information about this "exploding moonroof" phenomenon. I can't seem to find anything more about it, but it's been mentioned more than once.

I called the 800-SUBARU number, and they said they have never heard of such a thing happening before.

I'm quite certain that a rock did not hit it, as the shape of the impact on the glass is outward. It's as if someone took a bat from the inside of the car and jammed it up into the moonroof, with an extreme amount of force.

It's been suggested in other posts that it's a problem with the "annealing process", or with the "flex chassis", and it's not necessarily limited to Subaru's.

Has there been any definitive information on this? Is this something that can be prevented once I replace the moonroof?

Joy

Go to the dealer and harass them. I think that there were a rash of defective sunroof glass panels installed in 2000-2002 models. Something to do with the glass manufacturer not getting the layers of lamination to bond properly or something. Here's a link of a similar problem:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=447&s=

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=982#post982

Joy

I have heard of this issue before. Because of the design and the way the front sunroof sits it is very common to get hit by rocks. A local sunroof shop here in Denver told me they replace lots of these from rock hits.

You would be surprised how far ahead a car can throw a rock from when traveling at highway speed.