Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 timing belt tensioner bearings

Guest subu luvr

Guest subu luvr

is the timing belt tensioner bearing replaceable?

part available from local parts store, or dealer only?

how often do these die?

i think i killed this one with the degreaser while looking for

that massive oil leak...

No, they're not. The center shaft is part of the bearing itself. I tried making my own set, machined out of aluminum, and 2 bearings in each pulley. PS one lasted while it was in there, but the DS one failed with less than 20 miles on it, and tossed the belt. Went out and ordered new replacements, and installed them. No more worries of failure now. Really hate when that happens. Here's a link http://www.awep.com/ for a parts supplier that was in another post, (parts is parts), prices seem reasonable, and are close to what I paid for mine. As far as lifespan of the tensioners themselves, I can't say, but you would check for any stiffness or wobble of the bearing...Tom

Tom is right. So far no one has been able to rebuild the tensioners. Too bad since the bearings themselves are only $6 each. Most reputable shops will replace the tensioner every time they do a belt replacement. But I suspect the tensioner bearings could last for two replacement intervals (120K).

Guest subu luvr

on that note, i go to retrieve a specimen from the

junkyard........

all those surplus rollerblade wheels with bearings, hmmmmmmm