Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Today on Rocky&Bullwinkle: "Brakes Broke" or "I'm bleeding to death!"

Well I finally broke down and decided to track down the cause of the spongy brake pedal in the Brat.

I added fluid, and bled 3 corners. When I got to the left rear, I found the source of the spongy pedal. Enough air came out of that line to fill a balloon. Anywho, after I bled it down, I reached up to hand tighten the screw before I wrenched it down. Just as I was snugging it by hand, the top of the screw sheared off into my hand! So either I'm related to Superman, and stripped it by hand, or it was cracked beforehand.

I examined the break, and concluded that it had a hairline crack from before, which explains all the air I had to purge from that circuit.

I went up to Napa, and purchased an easy-out. No go. I went to Advance and bought a whole set of easy-outs.. so I can try a different size. Still no dice.

So now, my options seem to be:

a) disassemble the drum, and install a new wheel cylinder

B) pull off the cylinder with the busted screw, and take it to the machine shop to have it removed, then reinstall with new bleeder screw

My question is how important is it to replace the wheel cylinders in pairs? I see how all the manuals say to do pairs, but really, will I end up killing myself if I just replace the one? I mean, I've been driving with only one operational circuit for some time now..aint dead yet. Or would it be better to just do option B and call it a day? What yall think?

Well, the problem is the EZout bottoms out in the bleeder before it can get a grip. There isnt enough for me to grab ahold of, with an EZO, screwdriver, or anything.

I would just drill into the bottom of the bleeder to use the small EZout on it, but I dont know how deep I can drill before I'd mess up the cylinder.

Speaking of Rocy and Bullwinkle does anyone remember the name of the little dog who runs with the bad guy? He had that sneaker when they would do something bad. When I was a kid I like him. Charlie
I believe you are talking about Muttley (sp?), and I believe the show was Catch that Pigeon. Later on they made an appearance on Laff-a-Lympics. It was Hanna Barbarra cartoons. I forget who did the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.

Yes, I grew up watching cartoons in the late 70's and 80's. :grin:

Is it necessary to replace the other cylinder as well? Will I die like all the manuals say if I dont?

personally, i dont think so, but i really dont know a damn thing about anything

That's a "blanket warning", printed to cover their *****es really.

If you where talking a vehicle that was plumbed front axle-rear axle, then yes, replace both on same axle.

Seeing as ours are a cross-plumbed system, I think you'd be ok to do just one for now.