Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt pics, looks good?

I just bought the car, and when i went over the paper work, the timing belt was done at 61k. But the owner says he thinks he did it at 80k or 90k as well. So I took the cover off to inspect the belt. It looks like it is in good shape to me, but then again, i don't know much. Can you please look at the pics and tell me what you think?

http://photos.yahoo.com/avishbharwani

The belt looks OK from here.

That car has the 2.2 litre non-interference engine. If the timing belt breaks, no harm will be done unless the broken belt flaps around and tears off one of the idler pulleys. Usually, a broken belt will just inconvenience you.

However, if you want to be absolutely sure, plan to replace the belt anyway. Replace the main crank oil seal and re-seal the oil pump, just for insurance, even if there aren't any leaks right now.

Since you're in contact with the previous owner: ask him/her why the belt was changed at 90 K miles. If it was because of oil leaks, ignore the previous paragraph's recommendation -- you'll be OK now.

Many people hear "drive belts" (a/c and alternator) and think timing belt. Had a original owner come in with 80k on her Legacy, and I asked if the timing belt had ever been replaced because the crank seal was leaking. She said "yeah, about a month ago." Asked her how much and she said she paid $55.00. Well her drivebelts had been replaced but it was the original timing belt.

Based on your picture I would say the timing belts are not "newer", but you are not showing us a timing mark, if the timing mark is fresh and solid, then it is probably newer, if the mark is not very strong, then it might be older.

If it was my vehicle I would go in at 120k and put in a new waterpump, crank seal, and cam seals, and maybe replace some bearings.

Wow, thanks guys.

So upon sifting through all the old records, i found one that said the waterpump was leaking, at 90k. But i have can't find any that say it was replaced. If the water pump was leaking at 90k, it should be leaking a lot more now. But I have not had to add any coolant in the last 1000 miles (since i have had the car). It does not appear to be leaking. So I am thinking that maybe the the belt and pump er replaced at 90k, and he just lost the record.

Alos, is there anything i can spray (silcone lude?) to keep the belts from drying out or lasting any longer?

About how much does this service cost if coupled with the timing belt replacement??

Chuck

It depends. If you do the work yoruself or pay the labor. My mechanic wanted about 500 total to do all that. THe waterpump is about 120, and the belt is about 55.

Job Desc. Labor Rate Hour Total

Timing Belt Replace 65. 3. 195

T-belt 60

Rep. Crank Sea 65. .5 32.5

Crank Seal 8.

Replace Waterpump 65. .5 32.5

Waterpump 89.00

Antifreeze 7.00

Possible Cam Seals

Replace Cam Seal 65. 1 65.00

Cam Seal x2 14.00

So yeah, right at 500 bucks.

My labor rate is 55.00 so it is a little less, in addition I have a $200 T-belt special right now, and I only charge $69.95 for my waterpumps, but closer to $10 or 11 on the seals. Also have a lower sling gasket $15 if it has been leaking and check all tensioners and gears while apart. And of course drive belts (A/C and Alternator) if worn.