Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in rocker panels of 2000 Outback Sedan

There are drain holes that can get blocked. The real rocker panel is covered by a large plastic ground effects thing (plastic rocker panel cover). This thing has two drains in it...and is mounted to the rocker panel with (I think) 6 snaps that go into holes drilled into the side of the real rocker panel as well as a few clips in the wheel well/mud flap area. If the panel's drain plugs get plugged up, then the plastic cover and the rocker panel fill up with water. Just sticking a screw driver up into the holes doesn't always do the trick because I've removed my entire plastic rocker panel cover and found all sorts of dirt in there. I think that method allows the water to come out until the leftover debris plugs up the drain again. The best way to fix it is to remove the whole cover and clean it out instead of just sticking something in the drain holes. It's a really easy job to do yourself.

Is it a common problem? I only have that problem in the fall when shards of leaves somehow work their way into the rocker panel cover.

good luck

Ok thanks for the information. Is this only an issue for the sedans? We have an '04 wagon and it hasn't had this problem.

Hello, I just bought a 2000 OBS and there is a waterbuildup in the rocker panels. The 1st time the dealer cleaned the panles and drilled larger holes but now the problem is back and they aren't willing to fix it for free. Is this a commom problem for this vehicle?

Subarus are great cars for doing a little mild off-roading but they were never ment to cross rivers and lakes. Keep the Roo out of the water hole and you should have no problem.

Put it up on ramp or jackstands and take a really good look underneath your car. There you might find the reason for your problems.