Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Legacy: Help me spend my money please...

Hey all... This is my first post ;). Glad I found this site. Of course, as my first post, i would like some help from you all.

Can you please help me spend my money?

I have decided that I am going to buy a new car and I want to buy the Subaru Legacy. I dig the AWD and a manual tranny. I like some typcial amenities like leather, power everything and moonroof etc. But those things are somewhat variable based on some of the other things that i am considering.

The Look:

I dig the styling and looks of the Legacy GT but the NON is more aligned with my wallet. The looks are somewhat important to me. I would consider getting the NON and building it up to the look of the GT.

The Performance:

I am not sure that the GT is the best bang for the buck. I would consider getting the NON and building it up to go beyond the performance of the GT. This might mean aftermarket exhaust, turbo, etc. but I am a little ignorant as to the possibilities of the Legacy NON or GT.

Can anyone provide some direction for me? I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance that you can provide. I will of course continue to do my own research but if any of you have recommendations as to resources that would assist me in making a better buying decision, I would be eternal grateful...

Eternally grateful? Ok, i was trying a little too hard... my bad... help me spend my money PLEASE ;).

Thanks in advance,

Rook2King

Please clarify NON-

FWIW, I dig the GT wagon too. I would like to see the 3.0 6cyl mated w/a 6speed manual (available in europe and australia). Turbo 4 rocks, though.

I have been Extremely Happy w/my '00 outback. I would suggest that for regular driving (two people and all their stuff on a weekend ski trip) the non-turbo 4 w/manual provides plenty of power. I have cruised at 75-80 all day in my OB.

Hope this helps.

I would consider getting the NON and building it up to the look of the GT.

I would consider getting the NON and building it up to go beyond the performance of the GT.

I' d a hard time believing that you could buy a 2.5i and make it look and perform like a GT for less money than just buying a GT. It has got to cost more that way.

--Mike

Please clarify NON-

FWIW, I dig the GT wagon too. I would like to see the 3.0 6cyl mated w/a 6speed manual (available in europe and australia). Turbo 4 rocks, though.

I have been Extremely Happy w/my '00 outback. I would suggest that for regular driving (two people and all their stuff on a weekend ski trip) the non-turbo 4 w/manual provides plenty of power. I have cruised at 75-80 all day in my OB.

Hope this helps.

NON = Non Turbo...

Hmmmm... Thanks for the reply... This is a pretty tough decision i have to say... I have been researching all day long. I have always had an annoying affection for the OB. I am trying to get a healthy performer both speed and handling... I love to drive and drive hard... Just want something that doesnt leave me wanting too much... of course for about $30K...

Thanks again...

The GT will be cheaper for the performance hands down. The motor in the non-turbo is virtualy made of glass as far as it comes to running boost. The heads and cams are also likely far from what you want. Then you also don't get the latest and greatest reinforced 5spds that don't nuke under 400WHP. More over, The LGT can hit 300 crank with a Unichip or Reflash, and atleat here the dealers will not care at all. Oh and they massively out torque a stock STi...

Last a Base 5spd Sedan's MSRP is a $26K. Argue down from there for real saving.

G'day all,

I've just bought a '99' Legacy (Liberty to all of us in Australia) wagon 5 spd non-turbo, and absolutely love it. I live in Australia's largest city, and around town my Liberty performs beautifully. Sure, it's not going to 'smoke' performance or other cars with more power, but it goes great. The lady who owned it before me had aftermarket parts fitted (her husbands idea no doubt, he currently owns two WRXs). My Liberty has a performance air filter, performance brake pads, sports suspension (with standard shock absorbers) and a rear sway bar. It has a lower ride height than standard Lberty's which makes it look much better. Coupled with the AWD, this baby sticks to the road and I love it. I am wanting to fit better shocks though at some stage.

On the highway, it cruises beautifully, although it revs a little too high for my liking when doing the highest legal limit in Oz: 100-110 kph (about 60-70 mph I think). It revs at about 2800-3000 rpm at these speeds. But as I understand, that is the nature of the gearing etc.

My Liberty is the equivalent to the current 2.5i; the latest GT in Oz has the 2.0 turbo. So if you go for the non-turbo, you get a bigger motor than the turbo (is this the same in the States?). Also, the GT wagon is slightely more powerful than the sedan in Oz.

So, if I was in your position, I'd go for the GT wagon, and fit performance suspension at least (STI make parts to fit the latest Liberty/Legacy, check out the official Subaru web site). I agree that it would probably cost more to buy the non-turbo and tweek it up to out perform a standard GT (in Oz you'd be looking at an extra $AUD20000 ($15000 US roughly) on top of the purchase price of $56000 ($43000 US roughly)). You are more likely to get a better machine by tweeking an already bloody good GT package (i.e. suspension, Unichip, brakes, exhaust etc). Also, the interior of the GT is much better than the 2.5i (in Oz anyway) and carries heaps more street cred.

Hope this helps,

Zik