Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RX Center Diff Switch Problems.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:39 PM

Im not sure if my Center Diff is locking or not. Even with the switch off, the light still comes on. But then the light turns off at speeds over 40mph.

If I put the switch in the ON position, it doesnt turn the light on... and i dont hear anything engaging.

Is there any sure-way of knowing wether or not the center diff is locked?

-Brian

#2 singletrack

singletrack

EA Abuser

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Palisade, Colorado

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:46 PM

Is there any sure-way of knowing wether or not the center diff is locked?

Sharp turn on dry pavement?

#3 Do It Sidewayz

Do It Sidewayz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:47 PM

all the switch does is work exactly like the old Push button 4wd switches.

There are two vacuum switches on the firewall. One is for open, one is for locked. When you have the switch in the "off' position the "open" switch is activated, and vacuum pressure locks the diff. When you have the switch in the on position it works in the opposite direction.

You can replace the switch with an ON-OFF-ON switch

I'm not exactly sure how the light is triggered. I believe it is completely different.

Sometimes you needs to roll the car to get it "pop" just like the old push button 4wd's.

#4 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:46 PM

I noticed those 2 vacuum relay's. But Im not sure if they're working or not.

Anyway to test them?

-Brian

#5 Do It Sidewayz

Do It Sidewayz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:50 PM

have a friend flick the switch for ya.

even without the car running you should be able to hear an audiable "click" much like the sound of a relay.

#6 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:10 PM

disconnect one of the lines to the tranny at the vaccum relay with the car running, feel if it is sucking. reconnect, flip switch. disconnect line and see if it is sucking. Basically the vaccum relays just redirect engine vaccum. When they don't have vaccum going though them they are open to the atmosphere through the filter looking thing on the end. Did you verify that the lever on the trans is moving I think it is on the passenger side towards the back of the tranny?

#7 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,888 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:22 PM

I wish my RX had a diff lock..... stupid automatic trannies!!!:banghead: BAsically Brian, get a vacuum tester and put it on the relay with the car off, pump it up and see if the relays are still any good (it'll be holding vacuum). If you don't have access to one of those, just get an ordinary vacuum gauge and hook it up and turn the car on. Flick the switch to see if you're getting vacuum or not to the relays..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users