Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Center Diff Switch Problems.

Im not sure if my Center Diff is locking or not. Even with the switch off, the light still comes on. But then the light turns off at speeds over 40mph.

If I put the switch in the ON position, it doesnt turn the light on... and i dont hear anything engaging.

Is there any sure-way of knowing wether or not the center diff is locked?

-Brian

all the switch does is work exactly like the old Push button 4wd switches.

There are two vacuum switches on the firewall. One is for open, one is for locked. When you have the switch in the "off' position the "open" switch is activated, and vacuum pressure locks the diff. When you have the switch in the on position it works in the opposite direction.

You can replace the switch with an ON-OFF-ON switch

I'm not exactly sure how the light is triggered. I believe it is completely different.

Sometimes you needs to roll the car to get it "pop" just like the old push button 4wd's.

disconnect one of the lines to the tranny at the vaccum relay with the car running, feel if it is sucking. reconnect, flip switch. disconnect line and see if it is sucking. Basically the vaccum relays just redirect engine vaccum. When they don't have vaccum going though them they are open to the atmosphere through the filter looking thing on the end. Did you verify that the lever on the trans is moving I think it is on the passenger side towards the back of the tranny?

I wish my RX had a diff lock..... stupid automatic trannies!!!:banghead: BAsically Brian, get a vacuum tester and put it on the relay with the car off, pump it up and see if the relays are still any good (it'll be holding vacuum). If you don't have access to one of those, just get an ordinary vacuum gauge and hook it up and turn the car on. Flick the switch to see if you're getting vacuum or not to the relays..