Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Relationship with my subaru slowly faiding

well the past three days have been a blast. Cheney has had about 6inches of snow come down over the past few days with some nice cool temps to keep it around. this is my first winter with the subaru and it is crazy fun. but ast the temperature came up over the night the snow is now gone off the streets and its somewhat dry now. i took a nice drive in the suby just because i was bored and began to miss my old scirocco thats at my parents house.

The problem that i have had is the fact that subaru built thse wagons very well and im suprised that it still works but they were only thinking so hard. i know its not a sports car but im having real beef with the tranny. Subaru picked the worst possibly gear ratios that don't match the engine at all IMO. first to second shifts are horable. with only 75hp to play with...less at the wheels you would think the geniouses at subaru would have thought of matching the gears to get the most out of the engine...but nooooo thats not important. :(

was there a reason subaru did a poor job at puttig the right gearing in the tranny or is it just that the engine has no power...and if it does there is such a small portion of the rev range that is usefull.

Sure i have had fun driving the suby around town and in the dirt and snow but man im tired of 75hp

This brings me to my final question. how interchangeable are subaru parts. engines mainly. like my old vw i can mount even a 2004 8v 2L to my tranny . are any of the ohc engins compatable with an old 84 duel range tranny? Im thinking engine swap...ej22 into my wagon for some more grunt. or how about a trubo ea81...possibly custom manifold small turbo with a carb not FI big enoug to get enough fuel in the motor.

ya... gears arent the problem, its the 75 hp your dealin with. a 5 speed would make it "feel" peppier... but you need a turbo, or efi! =]

an ea82 ohc 8 valve 1.8, or ea81(na or turbo) should bolt into your car as long as your starter is off to the side, wherer the heater hoses go into your firewall... afaik.

a 5 speed fits right in too, so theres not realy anything stopping you..

they are Legos!

nah...its a lost cause....just sell it to me...LOL

Actually, I have a ea82 motor sitting in the backyard here in spokane. It needs a few parts, but Id let it go real cheap :brow:

I have a 5 spd tranny also, but alas, its only a front wheel drive....sorry.

you could go spfi, or get a weber.....a weber would definitely get more gas in there.if you wanna go on the cheap you can modify your hitachi as well.....you would need an adapter plate for your ej22 conversion to fit onto your tranny.....not that hard.baccaruda are working on making a stencil for those.....like the man said, there legos.just get dirty and make it faster.or you could order an engine from ccr how you want it.there are plenty of options.don't give up yet...

Some people just can't be satisified...;)

Seriously, I have a stock 79 Brat. Well it does have a Weber but stock outside of that. 65HP from the factory baby! Not sure what it puts out with the new carb but it's not much more. It's slow off the line. It's slow on the freeway. It's just plain slow. It's reliable and versatile though. Good on gas too. I average about 31mpg city/highway. It gets me everywhere my BMW's get me. Much slower but I still get there. It will also go a few places I'd rather not take the others. It's all paid for too...

I guess it's all just a matter of priority and what you want out of your car. Seriously, if I wanted a fast car I'd go pick one out. Although it would be a fun project to make the Brat fast, it wouldn't be a good financial move. I could drop thousands and after I was done, I *might* be able to keep up with a vtec Honda off the line. I'd rather take those same thousands, buy a faster car, and just keep my Brat the way it is.

Resale value is something to consider as well. I know Subaru's aren't really sought after in the classic car market yet but given time, they will be. When shopping for classics, people tend to gravitate toward original cars that haven't been molested.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you do!

you're kinda like I am, need for speed. I got my Brat and my wagon and now my RX but man, I sure miss driving my Camaro since it has the "sports car feel" to it plus it doesn't have less then 100hp in it either. Gotta love the Subes but boy oh boy, I miss the speed and the looks I got driving in the Camaro......gotta fix it, I gotta fix it...:drunk:

Some people just can't be satisified...;)

Seriously, I have a stock 79 Brat. Well it does have a Weber but stock outside of that. 65HP from the factory baby! Not sure what it puts out with the new carb but it's not much more. It's slow off the line. It's slow on the freeway. It's just plain slow. It's reliable and versatile though. Good on gas too. I average about 31mpg city/highway. It gets me everywhere my BMW's get me. Much slower but I still get there. It will also go a few places I'd rather not take the others. It's all paid for too...

I guess it's all just a matter of priority and what you want out of your car. Seriously, if I wanted a fast car I'd go pick one out. Although it would be a fun project to make the Brat fast, it wouldn't be a good financial move. I could drop thousands and after I was done, I *might* be able to keep up with a vtec Honda off the line. I'd rather take those same thousands, buy a faster car, and just keep my Brat the way it is.

Resale value is something to consider as well. I know Subaru's aren't really sought after in the classic car market yet but given time, they will be. When shopping for classics, people tend to gravitate toward original cars that haven't been molested.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you do!

thats kinda what im thinking. its not a great finacial move...for me atleast. in no way am i saing none of what all you guys do is wrong. In MY posision its not a good move. That said the suby ran great driving 280 miles back from school. its a great little car...i guess i was just tired of driving it...heck being slow keeps the cops off my back. :)