Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have only had 3 problems with mine in the couple of months I have owned it. Its a 1990 legacy sedan 5mt and the previous owner probably never changed oil because it was BLACK!!!!!! And the antifreeze was blue. I'm thinking he put washer fluid in there? So the front main seal went bad after going 100mph. The alternator died because the battery was bad (I guess thats 2 problems right there) And the IAC valve needed to be cleaned. But now the car gives me no problems and I drive it pretty hard. It sees redline almost daily and I accelerate quickly all the the time. I make sure to change oil and check it every week. I don't see it giving me any problems any time soon. It seems to be a very reliable car and engine. If taken care of. I have 158,000 miles on the odo and it had 151 when I bought it.

I've read about the head gasket issues on the 2.5L, but are there similar problems with the 2.2L?

What are some of the chief concerns regarding the 2.2L engines? Especially in mid-90's models?

C7

No.

The 2.2 is one of the best engines subaru has ever made, second to only the 2.2t. I have seen many with over 300k on the ticker.

No.

The 2.2 is one of the best engines subaru has ever made, second to only the 2.2t. I have seen many with over 300k on the ticker.

2nd to that engine? Where did you hear that from? I have heard some pretty weird electrical and cooling issues with those ej22t's. But then its probably something to do with lack of maintanance as well.

2nd to that engine? Where did you hear that from? I have heard some pretty weird electrical and cooling issues with those ej22t's. But then its probably something to do with lack of maintanance as well.
From people who know subaru's, the EJ22t has closed deck with stronger rods/pistons and oil squirters, etc.

It is a the best US engine you can get in the early legacy platform.

Change the timing belt every 60K regardless of weither it needs it or not. While you have the belt off change the waterpump, oil pump seal, cank and cam seals and tighten the screws on the back of the oil pump.

Use NGK Copper plugs, stay away from synth oil, use redline tranny fluid or gear lube. Only use OEM t-stats and waterpump.

Change the timing belt every 60K regardless of weither it needs it or not. While you have the belt off change the waterpump, oil pump seal, cank and cam seals and tighten the screws on the back of the oil pump.

Use NGK Copper plugs, stay away from synth oil, use redline tranny fluid or gear lube. Only use OEM t-stats and waterpump.

Nicely stated.

But why not syn oil? I run it and have for years, love it. I get 2-3 mpg, great cold starts, etc.

I recently picked up a 95 Legacy w/ 150,000 miles on it and my 2.2 is the smoothest high mileage engine I have ever driven. It sounds and feels great. I've heard nothing but praise for these engines, and I look forward to pushing my over 200,000 miles. If you can't verify the scheduled maintenance on the car you are considering, though, go ahead take care of those issues.

Being closed-deck makes the EJ22T an extremely strong engine, however, none shall forget the EJ20T, those motors have been around for a while also, many with over 175-200 HP per liter.

~Josh~

I did not mention EJ20T because it is not available in the US unfortunately!!:banghead: