Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 gt 2.5 to 2.2 swap difficulties

i purchased a nice ej22 from CCR engine and have to say how great a company the are.

i'm doing the work myself and have decent experience, but have had a few hang ups on some rusty, stubborn bolts.

first, the bottom drivers side bolt that attaches the transaxle to the engine came off at the nut with difficulty and is pretty rounded. can i get a new nut from subaru or should i go to a junk yard and try and find a matching 14mm nut?

the whole bolt and nut on the pass. side came out and my new engine has both bolts on the bottom, so i'm not sure how to get the nut off the old but because it is so rusty.

and worst of all, after finally pulling the engine... while removing the 8 bolts that hold on the plate that attaches the crankshaft to the flywheel i rounded the head of a bolt. i was stupidly using a crappy socket and now its rounded bad and won't come off. i suppose i could get a new plate somewhere to put on the new engine, but again i will need find a replacement bolt. Is there anyway to get off a rounded head

lastly, any recommendations on how to 'break it in'? i'll be strict about oil changes and such, but am curious about how i should limit how hi it's revved or what not. this is my first 'new' rebuilt engine i've been able to swap to a dead car.

i swapped my toyota pickup v6 for a lower mileage engine a few years back.

i appreciate the forum and help

when doing a job on an older car. All of these should be easily available at your dealer or parts store. Odds are you should just bring them in and match them up, or order online from ccrinc or Emily. To remove a nut from a stud when they come out together I was taught to put the stud in the vise and cherry the nut with heat. It usually comes right off then. You can reinstall the stud with jammed nuts or a visegrip. I like to use red Locktite when I insert studs to make it easy for the next bloke.