Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacment Battery in '98 Legacy L Wagon with AT?

I assume your battery is Group 35? Mine was (97 OB 4EAT), I just replaced it with a Sears Silver whatevertheycallit in Group 35. The OEM one was 490 CCA IIRC, the replacement 620 CCA and only $10 more than the Sears 490 one. The car starts right up now and seems to run smoother too. But any new battery probably would have done that since mine was really going downhill.

I've heard good things about Interstate batteries and probably would have bought one of those if mine hadn't died on a Sunday morning and Sears was the most convenient place to get one.

Steve

So, how much was teh 620 CCA battery from Sears out the door? Is there a model # or name on it?

I assume your battery is Group 35? Mine was (97 OB 4EAT), I just replaced it with a Sears Silver whatevertheycallit in Group 35. The OEM one was 490 CCA IIRC, the replacement 620 CCA and only $10 more than the Sears 490 one. The car starts right up now and seems to run smoother too. But any new battery probably would have done that since mine was really going downhill.

I've heard good things about Interstate batteries and probably would have bought one of those if mine hadn't died on a Sunday morning and Sears was the most convenient place to get one.

Steve

Personally, I wouldn't buy the Sears.

One of the reasons why:

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/AB074ADBA39A36E28525674B00459DEA

(It was a big thing in the news a few years ago, but this was one of the first links that came up when I searched in Goggle)

I've been going to Advance Auto for my battereis lately, and I've been Very impressed. They test my system for free, and then install it for free. Plus they seem to have good prices on strong batteries.

Keith

Personally, I wouldn't buy the Sears.

One of the reasons why:

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/AB074ADBA39A36E28525674B00459DEA

(It was a big thing in the news a few years ago, but this was one of the first links that came up when I searched in Goggle)

I've been going to Advance Auto for my battereis lately, and I've been Very impressed. They test my system for free, and then install it for free. Plus they seem to have good prices on strong batteries.

Keith

The stuff with Sears is ancient history at this point in time.

~Howard

:)

FWIW, I checked the manufactured date on the battery before I bought it, it was 10/04 IIRC, so if it wasn't re-stickered then mine was pretty freshly made.

Interesting article... but I agree that was a long time ago. Consumer Reports has done tests of batteries before, you could get a copy from your local library and peruse that if you have some time. I didn't have that luxury when I bought mine, just had to get what was convenient and open on Sunday morning.

Steve

The stuff with Sears is ancient history at this point in time.

~Howard

:)

Well, the other thing is that I live in a bit of a battery capitol. I live in viewing distance of Exide's original plant (still running, still poluting) and 25 minutes away from a Deka Battery Plant. Exide was the company involved with the Sears thing, and I just hate exide. I think after that Sears dropped exide, but since there are so many other choices, I just stay away. Bottom line, if it works it works.