Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Causes of Spark Knock?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tjdrury

tjdrury

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Colorado Springs, Colorad

Posted 17 August 2003 - 12:34 PM

Hey all,
I've been experiencing spark knock almost all of the time while driving my car lately. The car has no excessive load in it, the temp outside has been in the 80's, good (91 oct) or bad (85 oct) gas doesn't affect it. I've noticed it before, but only on steep grades or loaded down with cargo. Any ideas:confused: ? Thanks,

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 12:46 PM

check your timing. I dont know what the timing is supposed to be for sure, but i think its somewhere between 8 ans 12 deg btdc on the N/A subarus. Also try running a higher octane fuel and see what happens.

#3 beauregaardhooligan

beauregaardhooligan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 17 August 2003 - 04:54 PM

First of all, make *sure* your car isn't running hot.
Knock is too much advance on the ignition timing, or an overheating engine.
Carbon build-up in the cylinders can also cause pinging.
Other things can sound like knock or ping also. For instance, a small pinhole exhaust leak, mis-adjusted valves, or loose connecting rods.

#4 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 17 August 2003 - 06:33 PM

yeah... checking exhaust is a good thing to do. also, might want to check the O2 sensor... if it's bad, things run funny.

I replaced cap and rotor, spark plugs, and wires (spent $20 on wires, $10 on plugs, and $12 on cap and rotor) replaced exhaust gaskets, cleaned the EGR valve, and replaced the PCV valve. it's quieter, the muffler sounds more, and way better performance/gas mileage.

It might be too much to do, but it might be the best bet. replace EVERYTHING that might do it outside of internal engine work.

~jon

#5 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

I've also heard that if you put about 2 quarts of diesel fuel in your tank, it helps clean out the carbon buildup on the valves and on the tops of the pistons. Your "knock" or also known as pinging can be caused from: carbon buildup inside the combustion chambers, the timing might need to be adjusted, or like Jon said, your O2 sensor, cap, rotor, wires or plugs might be bad but thats all tune up stuff and its good to replace them all at once.

#6 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 17 August 2003 - 09:24 PM

diesel fuel? two QUARTS?

are you sure this isn't made up or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users