Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did first "mods" on the wagon...

This weekend I spent getting my hands dirty on the subaru for the first time. This is a 1985 dual range wagon I picked up for free, a few months ago. Major score, aside from a few moderate side pockets of rust, it looks good and runs flawlessly, even the AC is ice cold, and it now has 214k sitting on the clock.

Aside from a tuneup, I have just basically driven it. At first I hadn't decided if I was going to keep it, based on the miles, and wanting to see how it was holding up. But after several month, I have found it is a great useful car that makes a great parts hauler, and gives the Formula a bit more garage time. My other car is starting to ride the edge of what can be considered a fun daily driver.

Anyways, this weekend, I adjusted the preload and raised the suspension as high as it will safely adjust. On both the front and the back, it is all the way on the lowest setting before. I got the better part of two additional inches of clearance.

I also switched to a set of 185/80-13 tires, to replace the 7-8 year old rubber on the car. The car new sits MUCH higher. I eyballed in a bit of camber adjustment for now, as raising it did change the geomerty by quite a bit. But for some cheap easy work, the car is now much more off road capable.

Next week, I'm taking it up camping in the Collegiate Peaks, which should be my first real off road experience. Should be fun times...

nice. sounds like you're gonna have fun with it. I'm basically doing the opposite on my 79 wagon. I'm lowereing it and doing a panel job on it, welding the rear doors in and replacing the rear seat with a n amp and a sub box. You have a 91 Formula? thats awesome. I got 2 88 camaros, one of which has a police interceptor 350 in it. On your wagon, start looking into getting a lift kit for it if you already haven't started doing that.