Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to put Navigation in a 2005 Outback. Saw this great looking install on a Japanese site.

http://www.subaru.co.jp/topics/t-2004/legacy_special_choice/navi/imgs/strada_w1.jpg

I think it's a factory install. How can I get the hollow housing that will hold the unit? Anyone out there have any information? Sharp piece on an Outback or Legacy.

dandisco@aol.com

I use a Garmin 2610, which will mount either directly in front of you or on top of the dash in the center.

We just bought a Nissan Quest van and elected to use the Garmin in lieu of the factory setup. It's a lot easier to upload waypoints and create custom routes, and that model uses a memory card instead of DVD or hard drive.

I use a Delorme Tripmate and my Panasonic Toughbook. I have a custom made laptop mount in the legacy and a 12volt inverter to run it all.

I am running Delorme street atlas 2005 on the laptop. It is cool because it shows me turn by turn and also speaks the directions. It has all the point of interests and pretty much ever store, restaurant, and gas station in north america.

I bought the GPS unit at a local thrift store for $2.00 ( I was stoked) the software set me back $50.00 at circuit city and I had a laptop.

If you are interested in going the laptop route then I would check ebay for the delorme USB GPS units. Mine is a serial port version and works great (And you can pick them up for a few dollars on ebay) but you will still need software for either the USB or serial version. Most of the USB versions include the software for around $100.00

If you have a laptop already I would suggest going this route. (no pun inteneded)

Cool.

I am currently running a Chrysler Crossfire navigation radio in my car (turn-by-turn) but have a laptop with MS Streets & Trips 2005 installed and would like to mess with that a little just to see how a system without dead reckoning performs. Just need to get the details on what antennas the program supports.

Do you have a pic of the laptop bracket?

-Heikki

I built it myself from peices of stainless pipe you can find at the home depot. It was really easy to do. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it works real good.

You could probably do some reseach on the net and find which GPS devices are supported with your MS software. I know my road atlas 2005 will support pretty much any USB or Serial device. Open up your MS GPS application and look for "devices" or something along that line.

From what I hear MS S&T is a good program. I know they sell it with a GPS reciever but they might sell it software only for all I know.

Pics posted. It only cost me about $10.00 to build.

I want to put Navigation in a 2005 Outback. Saw this great looking install on a Japanese site.

http://www.subaru.co.jp/topics/t-2004/legacy_special_choice/navi/imgs/strada_w1.jpg

I think it's a factory install. How can I get the hollow housing that will hold the unit? Anyone out there have any information? Sharp piece on an Outback or Legacy.

dandisco@aol.com

Thanks for the replies, but did anyone go to the link? I will probably install a Kenwood or Alpine unit. I just want to know where can I get the housing that appears to have the AC vents and the cavity that will accept the unit. A prefab unit that someone or some company has already made, would save a lot of cutting and custom fitting, and would probably look much better.

S-o-o-o-o, anyone know where I can get the housing? Or where I could start looking?