Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt slipped '00 2.5 RS!

Well @ 80,000 miles, my timing has finally slipped

I went out one morning to start my car and just as it fired up, runnin in its warm up cycle, about 4 seconds into it,

blah bluh blah bluh blah bluh blah bluh

ONE SERIOUS IRRATIC IDLE!

I'll keep posted on this, I'm not completely sure on what it is but my guess is timing.

any advice?:banghead:

Was there any loud tapping? have you cleaned the engine recently ? or bought fuel from a dodgy supplier? how many miles /klms has it done ? we need a little more info to diagnose from a distance :D Lets hope its not the timing belt as it means major work to repair:(

Eradic idle could be a few things:

Cam Sensor

Crank Sensor

Vacuum Leak of some sort (if in the engine bay recently, did you knock any hoses loose?)

Fuel Filter may need changing

Air Filter may have junk all over it

MAF (I think thats what the 00 has) might be funky

Check engine light on?

GOod luck!

Kevin

1. Yes its SOHC 2.5 EJ251.

2. a. Airfilter is a hiflow AEM airflow... clean.

b. There has been loud tapping since ive owned the car, oil changes every 1,500 miles. Fuel filter has never been changed to my knowledge. Vehicle is at approx 80,3XX .. miles.

3. No I havent been pressurewashing my engine. I hand clean it with degreaser.

4. Heres how it goes.... I had just started the car, no radio volume, car door wide open...

I start my car, it runs up to about 1,500 RPMS for about 4 seconds.

Then it gets very erratic. RPM's stay the same, except when lowering RPMS during the warm up cycle.

Sounds like on each stroke, one piston fires, one doesnt.

(kind of like a burr-PUH burr -PUH on each stroke, the puh is definately a misfire. )

Now when I start my car, it runs up to that 1,500 RPMS or so, then when it reaches it the erratic idle comes back.

My guess is timing slipped, or i have a dead side? maybe even a cam sensor. This is definately something that I'm not going to be involved in fixing. Just mah money :headbang:

Should I spend the money to have a dianastics test done?

OH BY THE WAY, MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS IN THE "FLASHING" OR (DESTRESS) MODE. :banghead:

Ok, so that means you have a misfire (99% of the time at least). Try and narrow it down to the cylinder in question. Start the car and then pull the spark plug wires out of the block one at a time. If you pull one out and the engine doesnt try and stall, that is your problem. Yank the plug out and check it for abnormal characteristics. While youre at it, you might as well change all of the plugs, and change that fuel filter too...it probably needs it. What about the tapping? Did that get louder? Maybe a defective oil pump starved the engine? Do the plug test first to narrow it down.

It is a silver canister on the driverside fender well. Pull the two hoses off (it will drip gas out of the filter, but it is not pressurized at all) and reconnect on the proper nipples on the new canister. It takes maybe 10 minutes if your hoses are hard to get off. A squirt of WD40 on the end of the hose where it meets the filter is helpful:-)

Good luck with it!

Kevin

Originally posted by Battle_Wagon_Medic

Your not getting it.

It has nothing to do with the oil.

I already know its misfiring, as I said above.

Ok then, if you know its not the oil, then why did you even mention it?

Well, I already described the location of the fuel filter if you read my post. Im just trying to help here, and no one else really is...Im going to edit my post and put it in bold for you.

Your attitude and list of cars seems very familiar to me...its not a good idea to get people mad again.