Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whimpy horn..only tootin' on one horn..

Have you guys ever had one horn just give out?

I noticed one night after about a week of heavy rain that my right side horn suddenly came on all by itself..It wasn't at its full volume and it was sorta crackly. I went out side in the rain and gave the horn a honk..both horns came on loud and clear and the phantom honk dissappeared..so about a month or so later my car was down for a week or two while the ea71 went out and the ea82 went in. After that I've only had my left horn..only wires I troubled in that area were the wires for the temp sensor and the electric fan..bleh..

any ideas guys?

the other half's car didnt even have horns when we got it, somebody, for some unknown reason, removed them - bought a set of aftermarket horns - about $30 for a decent set - and mounted them on the passenger side strut tower - work great! (and louder than the stock ones)we tapped into the original wiring to make them work - and there was quite a bit of corrosion on the original terminals - cut off the nasties and ran extensions to the new horns.

PMIMP, the horns are adjustable.

There are contacts inside each horn similar to relay contacts.

They do corrode but also get out of adjustment.

You can remove the horn and fine tune it on a bench.

To get to the horn, remove the head lamp assm.

(4 - 10 mm nuts on back side of core support and one ph. head screw in side light)

the horn is mounted behind bumper.

Once on the bench, you will see a small ph. head screw with a lock nut.

Connect +12V and "tweak it". Hearing protection suggested

Hope this helps