Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!! Impreza sputtering @ 4500 rpm

Help, I have a 97 impreza obs. lately everything seems to be giving me problems. 1- the rear wiper stops where you turn it off, not in the original position where it starts. 2- the power locks work everywhere but the rear hatch, it has to be locked manually. 3- back up lights rarely work, which is dangerous trying to back up. 4- spedometer/ odometer stopped working. 5- last but not least this week after getting gas at a local sheetz it sputtered a few times. then while driving i noticed that @ 4500 rpm it sputtered really bad and the car shook, refusing to go any faster, forcing me to upshift. I have tested this in every gear with the same results of the car sputtering badly whenever reaching 4500 rpm. the fuel filter, spark plug and wires have been replaced less than a year ago, along with a aftermarket green (k&n type) air filter 2 weeks ago before i went on a trip to Connecticut. only had sputtering and spedometer probs after i got back. any help with this problem would be appreciated. I have scheduled to take it to a subaru garage soon if i cant take care of this myself first.

I can tell you my experience with intermittent reverse lights- I have a 1996 Legacy Outback 5speed and it turned out the wires right at the switch for the reverse light (the switch actually bolts into the left side of the transmission) were not in good shape. I replaced the switch with a new one (25 bucks) and no trouble since.

Help, I have a 97 impreza obs. lately everything seems to be giving me problems. 1- the rear wiper stops where you turn it off, not in the original position where it starts. 2- the power locks work everywhere but the rear hatch, it has to be locked manually. 3- back up lights rarely work, which is dangerous trying to back up. 4- spedometer/ odometer stopped working. 5- last but not least this week after getting gas at a local sheetz it sputtered a few times. then while driving i noticed that @ 4500 rpm it sputtered really bad and the car shook, refusing to go any faster, forcing me to upshift. I have tested this in every gear with the same results of the car sputtering badly whenever reaching 4500 rpm. the fuel filter, spark plug and wires have been replaced less than a year ago, along with a aftermarket green (k&n type) air filter 2 weeks ago before i went on a trip to Connecticut. only had sputtering and spedometer probs after i got back. any help with this problem would be appreciated. I have scheduled to take it to a subaru garage soon if i cant take care of this myself first.

If the sputtering started right after the K&N install, i would look at oil contamination on the Mass air flow sensor. Just an idea.