Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whirring under gear lever

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zik

Zik

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:27 AM

Greetings,

I've only had my '99' Liberty (Legacy) wagon for just over a month. Soon after I bought it, I noticed a mild, but consistent whirring sound when the car was moving; the whirring sound started from about 20kph onwards (sorry, I don't know the mph conversion). The whirring sound increased in pitch as the speed of the car increased. It is not there at idle, but a little when in reverse. Yesterday it 'turned' into a mechanical sounding whirring sound that has grown louder and more harsh, especially at highway speeds. The sound is constantly there, around town, on the highway, even driving up our driveway.

I think I have isolated the sound to what I think is coming from under the gear lever. I am wondering if anyone knows what is causing this sound??

I have checked the transmission oil which is fine. The sound is there when the radio is off, when the fan and climate control is off, when the cruise control is off. I think it could be coming from the thrust bearing, the universal joint or the front differential, or it may be something to do with the dual range. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Regards
Zik.

#2 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • new york

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:21 AM

Zik

I had the same annoying buzz from my former 95 legacy 5 speed(dont recall if you said auto. or 5 spd)----was annoying
didn't get much advice when I posted here...seems to be a common occurrence

#3 Zik

Zik

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, it's a 5 spd.

Zik

I had the same annoying buzz from my former 95 legacy 5 speed(dont recall if you said auto. or 5 spd)----was annoying
didn't get much advice when I posted here...seems to be a common occurrence

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 12 December 2004 - 05:22 PM

Gearbox main bearings. Drain the oil and check it for metal shavings.

#5 Zik

Zik

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:31 AM

Cheers... but I don't think it is the gearbox. The sound is there even if the clutch has been depressed.

Thanks again

Gearbox main bearings. Drain the oil and check it for metal shavings.

#6 Zik

Zik

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:23 AM

The problem was the bearings in the front diff had gone. The dealer replaced them, tested the car and found the noise still there, so they replaced the gearbox. Now it as smooth as silk, and seems to have more power????? I don't know how this works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users