Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 turbo question

I can tell my turbo is spinning but i am getting no turbo. I am not real familar with the turbo cars as of yet can anyone give me any ideas what might be going on. The car is running slugish with loss of power and bad milage. It is an 86 gl-10 turbo with 4wd auto.

thanks, Joe

At idle, your turbo wont be under much boost at all. Use a pressure guage and maybe a long hose to monitor boost while your driving. (or install a boost gauge if you can). With the car at idle, the wastegate will be open and you wont be producing much boost at all.

I believe your most likely to make full boost in 2nd and 3rd gear. I dont think your car will make full boost in 1st gear (although, im probably mistaken).

-Brian

The wastegate wouldn't be open at idle, just not enough exhaust flow to spin the turbine fast enough to boost. Boost will be dependent on engine load and rpm... so max boost possible in first (though unlikely unless going up a grade).

Overheating is contraindicative of turbo failure... no boost would equal less power and less need to dissipate heat. Cooling system issues (radiator, fans, and thermostat) or headgasket issues are likely causes of overheating.

Possibly clogged cat-con or collapsed exhaust might cause both overheating and power loss. Also, may be slipped ignition timing.

Overheating and power loss might be coincidental and unrelated. My sparkplugs went bad within 20 miles, caused low-speed bogging and on-boost bogging. Threw in a fresh set of NGKs and I am a happy camper again.

I had the same trouble with myy wife's GL-10. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you just blew a head gasket. Check your coolant and see if you have oil in the coolant. If you do, then the head gasket went. Mine went and exhibited all the symptoms you are describing. I put in a new engine and voila the car wa back to it's old self.

Good Luck

i've been working on the '85 gl wagon(awd turbo) i just got. I took of the intake plenum(the thing between the turbo outlet and the throttle body inlet) and the hose on the bottom was hard, cracked, and light shining through. i replaced that with 1/2 inch radiator hose and it started right up. that might be a source of vac leak. i just need to make it run on all cylinders again.