Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Forester -Taking Bets

I dug out all my receipts from warrenty repairs and trips to the dealership for problems.

I have 77,000 miles on him right now.

I counted 11 times that I have been to the dealership over CELs, Airbags, HGs, ECMs, Clutch, etc. I change my oil with synthetic every 5000 miles. 95% of my driving is highway. That is a trip to the dealership every other oil change. What the HELL?

SOOOO

I've decided to start taking bets. Instead of turning this one in ASAP, I've decided to see how long it stays running. Now I'm not sure if I will push it over a cliff before it hits 100k but I'm taking guesses at the miles that the stupid 2.5 will hold. WHen it dies... hopefully soon... I'm planning on dropping a 2.2 in. Then its only a matter of.. how long will the forester hold up?

BlueSoob,

I've been around awhile and have owned Many vehicles over the years. Every so often you get one that just seems to nickel and dime you to death. All the problems on a new 73 Chrysler were traced back to being built on a Friday afternoon by a bunch of "can't get out of here fast enough" auto workers. A 77 Vette required shares in GM until sold 10 years on when wisdom finally set in. Later on a 81 Cordoba was fine up until its first tuneup, and was never the same again, a real pain where you couldn't have an ache. I believe the dealership was responsible for the problems they could never find nor correct. Since then I've bought only Japanese vehicles and had basically only very good experiences with all of them. Yes, once in a while something will go south that you wouldn't expect should, but they are all very compex mechanical devices that will sometimes let you down. Its the nature of the beast. But once in a while you get a lemon. Only you can decide whether to make lemonade with it, or turn it out to pasture and move on to another vehicle. But I sure wouldn't jump ships because of one bad experience with a particular make, ....if it was built on a Friday......but after a second one.....GOODBYE.