Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My defrost is frosting me!!

A wagon, I assume? A trouble spot for the EA82 wagons is in the tailgate, where there is a connector that tends to melt and/or wires pull out. IIRC, the connector is near the gate latch mechanism (under neath the gate trim panel) and is "mounted" to one of the supports in that region.

If you find broken traces on the rear window with your ohm meter, you can fix them using a conductive pen. I use masking tape on the glass right along the sides of the element and just draw over it with the pen. The 'ink' has some sort of metal in it (aluminum I think) so it will complete the broken circuit.

Where so you find these pens? Or special epoxy described by Haynes manual? I have tried the local parts stores, wal-mart, etc. Nobody has them and most think I'm crazy. The manager at AutoZone said they stopped carrying them over a year ago. I'll try the NAPA warehouse/distribution center, hopefully they have something.

A wagon, I assume? A trouble spot for the EA82 wagons is in the tailgate, where there is a connector that tends to melt and/or wires pull out. IIRC, the connector is near the gate latch mechanism (under neath the gate trim panel) and is "mounted" to one of the supports in that region.

You win the golden frosted donut!!! Thye connector was completely melted and the wire had broken away. Reconnected the wire and shazam! Juz like new.

You win the golden frosted donut!!! Thye connector was completely melted and the wire had broken away. Reconnected the wire and shazam! Juz like new.
Keep that donut from going stale... I might be going by to collect it in the next week or two! :grin:

Yes, I found that problem the hard way. Good has come out of it in that 2 people so far have benefitted from my grief. :)