Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is this part?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MitchP

MitchP

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Snohomish, Wa.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:29 PM

Please see the attatched pic for the part. It is a small part that attatches to the air cleaner snorkel and has one electrical connection and two vaccum lines. I was wondering what it's function is. It is disconnected now and has been for 5 years. I was having some very bad drivability problems shortly after I bought the car in 1998. It really felt carb related. So I rebuilt the carb and it didn't help much. I then bought a new carb from Subaru. It helped some, but didn't eliminate it. I talked to a mech. at the stealership where I purchased the carb and explained what was happening. He came right out to the car and told to that disconnecting this would solve all my probs, but didn't really know what the part was. It ran 100% better after doing this.
The reason I'm asking now is that it started running like garbage again. Problem was the caps I used had cracked and created vaccum leaks. Car felt like it just wasn't getting any fuel, or running out of fuel. Runs great now with new caps. I know that the dealer wanted $170 for a new part. So can anyone tell me what it does?

Attached Files

#2 MitchP

MitchP

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Snohomish, Wa.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:00 PM

No answers yet? Sorry about the size of the pic. How do you get the large pics in the post?

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

I have no idea. Free bump for you!

although I imagine its an emissions device of sorts.

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:37 PM

hm. i have no idea what it is except that they only used it for a few months during the production run. (if it is what i think it is, pic is bad). i changed one of those on skeet's car way back when and it was hard to find one at all, let alone one without a broken nipple.

#5 MitchP

MitchP

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Snohomish, Wa.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

The mech. thought it was some kind of emissions part, but wasn't really sure. It passes fine without it though. All I know is that the car really runs bad when it's hooked up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users