Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96Legacy valve cover gasket cost!holy crap!!!

some of the posts here recommended using the OEM valve cover gaskets rather than aftermarket versions....dealer wants $20 Each....while that seems a little excessive....it gets worse .....they want $6.20 Each for the special bolt washers.......what the f^&%.......there's 6 of them!!!

Any suggestions???

prices on parts at any dealer (not just Subaru stores) depend on the parts pricing "matrix" that the parts manager has employed for "over-the counter" parts sales. Typically, small parts (like valve cover bolt seal washers, for example) that cost the dealer only a little are marked up the MOST, so they make the best profit. Many dealers will apply a particular parts matrix to groups of parts that they consider "fast movers", again to maximize their profit. As you're probably well aware, all of this pricing matrix stuff can vary tremendously from dealer-to-dealer. I bought twelve valve cover bolt washers (13271AA051) from a dealer here in MD for 3.10 each; dealer cost is 1.77 each and Subaru LIST is 2.95 each. Have you checked other dealers in your area? Dealers in urban areas tend to be worse about this because they often have a "captive audience" business ethic (or lack thereof).

I just did three cars using a sets bought at my local parts store. It's made by Fel-Pro and was very nice. The seals were high quality rubber and it came with all the little bolt washer seals. The entire kit was something like $25. I see no reason not to use it. There are lots of parts that the Dealer just charges too much for, and for something as basic as a valve cover seal I'd need to see some real hard evidence against aftermarket to not use them.

Keith