Ultimate Subaru Message Board

in need of help............

Have a light bulb out in my rear defogger switch (the icon ,, not the indicator that

shows its on). Dealer says i have to replace the entire switch at 77$ plus labor.

Sounds kinda crazy........to replace a switch (that works) because a bulb is blown.

Can anyone tell me the first few steps to get at the bulb in the rear defogger switch?

Its a 98 Impreza Outback Sport. :)Thanks for any input from the board.

Robb

Robb1,

I have a similar problem with the one seat heater switch in my 02 OBW Ltd. The switch works fine, as do the two high and low indicator bulbs, but the illumination for night use bulb has gone south. Dealership wants $43 CAN for the switch, and by the time you pay labour and taxes we're about at the same kind of wallet hurt that you've been quoted. I too refuse to pay for a switch that I'm pretty sure I can take apart, locate another bulb source, and then solder in. I like a challenge as well. I'm not familiar with where your rear defogger switch is located (lower dash, left side?). If it can't just be popped out using a taped up flat bladed screwdriver, you will most likely have to pop out the dash panel that it sits in to get at it. You may have to take the speedometer inside surround out first to get at its fasteners. To be certain, you really need someone who has your particular model, and has had the panel off before, to jump in with the proper procedure. Good luck.

Robb1,

I have a similar problem with the one seat heater switch in my 02 OBW Ltd. The switch works fine, as do the two high and low indicator bulbs, but the illumination for night use bulb has gone south. Dealership wants $43 CAN for the switch, and by the time you pay labour and taxes we're about at the same kind of wallet hurt that you've been quoted. I too refuse to pay for a switch that I'm pretty sure I can take apart, locate another bulb source, and then solder in. I like a challenge as well. I'm not familiar with where your rear defogger switch is located (lower dash, left side?). If it can't just be popped out using a taped up flat bladed screwdriver, you will most likely have to pop out the dash panel that it sits in to get at it. You may have to take the speedometer inside surround out first to get at its fasteners. To be certain, you really need someone who has your particular model, and has had the panel off before, to jump in with the proper procedure. Good luck.

...........Thanks gbhrps

good luck on your end too. My switch is just under the center air vents

in the middle, right of the hazard switch and left of the cup holder . Was

hoping someone would post what to get into first......one thing i hate is to

bungle up a good interior by guessing.

Robb1,

I took the centre dash panels off my 97 OBW Ltd to install the woodgrain pieces that were available fot the 98's on (vanity I guess). That was quite awhile ago, but as I recall, and it will be similar for your car, that there was a screw or 2 to be removed, after pulling out the ash tray. I think that I had to pull out the rectangular tray that can be used for sunglasses, etc. as well, and there were 2 screws behind that. From there, you tape up a flat bladed screwdriver (to prevent scratches) and carefully pry out the surround panel along its sides and top. As I recall, the hazard switch and any other switches were just screwed to the back of the surround panel. Take your time, don't really force anything, and you'll be able to get things apart without any damage.

Good luck!

Robb1,

I took the centre dash panels off my 97 OBW Ltd to install the woodgrain pieces that were available fot the 98's on (vanity I guess). That was quite awhile ago, but as I recall, and it will be similar for your car, that there was a screw or 2 to be removed, after pulling out the ash tray. I think that I had to pull out the rectangular tray that can be used for sunglasses, etc. as well, and there were 2 screws behind that. From there, you tape up a flat bladed screwdriver (to prevent scratches) and carefully pry out the surround panel along its sides and top. As I recall, the hazard switch and any other switches were just screwed to the back of the surround panel. Take your time, don't really force anything, and you'll be able to get things apart without any damage.

Good luck!

Thanks again for your time and your post......I'll

probably give it a try after the Holidays....when i feel a little calmer..:)

AVK,

You're right on the money! The Radio Shack microlight bulbs #7219 are exactly what's inside the seat heater switches of my 02 OBW. They come with inch and a half long pigtails and are just wound around and through the rubber light socket/shields, no soldering needed.

Robb1,

Got the switch out of the centre console, and holding it upright (so no internal parts could spring out or get dislodged before I saw where they are located, I used a small thin bladed screwdriver to pry out the BOTTOM of the switch that has the wiring harness blade connectors on it. When the bottom dropped out, there was a white centre section that had copper spring contacts just floating around on top of the bottom section. This thin white block had a white vertical pointer, that fits into a set of fingers that extend down from the rocker switch in the top of the switch. (Obviously the pointer must be positioned to fit between the fingers upon reassembly.) Coming up from the bottom of the switch base that was just removed, the blades rise above the white centre switch contact assembly and have 2 rubber light shield/sockets for the illumination bulb and the seat heater on bulb. The rubber sockets and bulbs just slide right off of the blades. Using a magnifying glass and toothpick or dental pick, unwind the bulb pigtails to remove the burned out bulb, and replace same with a new bulb. Put the bulb and socket assembly back onto the blades, and before you put everything back together, test the bulb using long pigtail wires from your battery. If it lights, reassemble the whole switch, and again before you install it in the car, plug the switch into your wiring harness connector, turn on the ignition and lights and see if it works. If so...put the car back together. It worked for me. Total cost was $2.99 CDN plus tax and an hour of my time. Good luck!