Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford probe STi ooooohhhhh yeah baby!!

coloradosubarules

I just purchased a 1993 Ford probe GT with 68K on it but the tranny is reeeeaaalllyyy on it's way out. I find this to be sad.

But wouldn't it be sweet if I could (afford to) put a WRX STi engine and tranny into it. I would put a rear-end into it but that would be way too much work.

Ford Probe STi

Ford Probe GTi

If I did make it all wheel drive I could keep my rims all the way around because the STi and SVT use the same bolt pattern as the Probe GT.

sell it to a ricer, and buy an ea81 car then start thinkin crazy.

most trans axle cars have the engine and tranny centered over the wheels. on subarus the front axles are way back on the tranny, and the engine hangs way out in front of the wheels... so basicaly, with a probe, youd have to rear wheel drive it, with no front... but ya, get a turbo, mazda made a great motor =]

Didn't the Ford Probe GT automatic use the same 4EAT in the first gen Legacy? Belive it was actually developed by Mazda? Maybe it was only on the Probe turbos.... I'm not 100% clear on this.

Might be something to look into if you want to keep her going. :drunk:

• 3 weeks later...
I just purchased a 1993 Ford probe GT with 68K on it but the tranny is reeeeaaalllyyy on it's way out. I find this to be sad.

But wouldn't it be sweet if I could (afford to) put a WRX STi engine and tranny into it. I would put a rear-end into it but that would be way too much work.

Ford Probe STi

Ford Probe GTi

If I did make it all wheel drive I could keep my rims all the way around because the STi and SVT use the same bolt pattern as the Probe GT.

Go for it! Send/post up some pics of your project as you go through it and the finished results. I'd look forward to reading about it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...