Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I checked out a used 2000 OBS this morning, 79,000 miles. The car is solid, but the engagement point on the clutch is near the top, and it slips just a wee bit in the higher gears.

This is just a classic symptom of a clutch in need of replacement right?

I can fix it if that's all it is, I'll just knock off the appropriate amount off the price of the car. I just need confirmation that this isn't some other malady that affects Impreza's. Help, expert advice anyone?

Damn, the only one to come to my aid about an Impreza question is a Legacy lover. Maybe I'm buying the wrong car. :confused::D

Basically what I did was while entering a freeway on-ramp, full throttle in top gear at the torque-peak, I bopped the clutch to let the revs come up about 1k and see if the lining had enough grab to haul 'em back down, but it didn't, the revs started to run away.

That was my first time driving a 2.2. It definitely has the bulk of torque concentrated down lower around 2-4000k RPM, whereas my 2.5 phase II has a power-surge up around 4-5500k RPM. Thanks Matt.

It's also possible that the clutch cable needs adjustment. My sister's '96 OB had similar symptoms a couple years ago & I adjusted her cable and it's been operating fine ever since.Bill

Thanks Bill. I don't know for a fact, but I was under the assumtion that the '00 uses a hydraulic system instead of a cable. I didn't check for pedal free play at the top tho.

My last car was a manual tranny with 196k miles on the original clutch, the engagement point was still 2/3 from the top when I sold it. :D

The only manually-shifted vehicle I've ever owned that needed a new clutch from severe use was a 72' Kawasaki H-2. :eek: It was fun wasting that clutch.

Clutch cable is a possible...but I don't know how much longer it would last. When was the last time it was done?

When I bought my OBW, I was looking through the service records and the prev. owner had it done at 65,000 miles. The clutch in my 95 Legacy lasted 195,000 miles. Anyways, if its only been like 10,000 miles...it may just need ajusted.

Clutch cable is a possible...but I don't know how much longer it would last. When was the last time it was done?

When I bought my OBW, I was looking through the service records and the prev. owner had it done at 65,000 miles. The clutch in my 95 Legacy lasted 195,000 miles. Anyways, if its only been like 10,000 miles...it may just need ajusted.

I'll be picking the car up on Monday, then I'll have a better chance to assess the situation. If it's just an adjustment issue that would be excellent. I'm buying this car off A Subaru dealer's lot, it was a trade-in on a new Subie purchase. I believe that means that the car wasn't a lemon and gave good enough service to the previous owner to warrant his loyalty in return business.

The salesman produced some portion of a service record that showed that the car in fact had a new clutch installed and the pressure plate turned about 8,000 miles ago. I wasn't having any of it and offered three grand less than what it was tagged at. He bit. :headbang:

If it was 8,000 miles ago it might just need adjusted. My buddy's brother had a Nissan that the clutch was new and slipping...just needed adjusted. It is possible to kill a clutch that quick...but if they knew the basics on driving a manual its very unlikly.

Good luck on the new ride :D