Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick RX trans question!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:37 AM

Hi, is the dual range 5 speed in an RX either 4wd or awd all the time? If I install it in my Brat, will it be one or the other instead of the D/R or 2wd set-up that I really like? Hurry please, Bradd

#2 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 18 August 2003 - 02:31 AM

Dpends, if it's an 86 RX, then it'll be a 4wd one. If'n it's an 87 or newer RX, then it'll be a Full-time, It's like the crossover tranny between 4wd and AWD, it's neither of each, or a little of both. It does have dual range though, but no 2wd mode, unless you do the fuse thing.

#3 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 18 August 2003 - 02:35 AM

Hi, thanks dudes. It was as I figured, no 2 wheel mode and that sucks. Also, the ratio is 3.70, so the rear end would have to be changed, at least the ring gear, and that slows the off the line aspect. I think I will stick with what I have now, Bradd

#4 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:25 AM

Adam, almost everything you stated was correct, but the fuse thing is for AWD auto trannies, not Fulltime 4WD manual trannies.

Bradd, you can not change just the ring gear in a rear diff without some major work. The ring and pinion gears are matched sets. Just find an EA82 turbo and manual tranny, it will have either an open or a LSD 3.70 rear diff.

#5 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 18 August 2003 - 06:14 PM

Hi Corky, point well taken, but the bottom line is I would have to change all the running gear for what would have been a spare transmission. I have a working D/R 5 speed now, and was going to rat hole one, bad habit. This one won't work for the oblivious reasons, and I don't want to give up 2 wheel drive. As to the fuse, my '98 Legacy with a 5 speed has it also, Bradd

#6 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:45 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yea right, your 98 Legacy 5 speed manual tranny had a fuse that when removed gave you only FWD. Well, Bradd old boy, that would be impossible since the 98 Legacy tranny is an AWD tranny and is coupled to the front and rear by a viscous coupler, and nothing electric, it is all mechanical. I'm not saying that your Legacy didn't have the fuse, I'm just saying that there is nothing electrically that connects the two drive axles so removing a fuse would do nothing.

#7 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:56 PM

Now now Corky, I never said it did anything, just has it, Bradd:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users